Ultimate Subaru Message Board

start by finding a soob-friendly independent mechanic near you. ask in a new thread.

1. they may have a customer that is trading up/selling a car

2. They can help with a pre-purchase inspection if you find a car you like (does your sister live farther south? Superior Soobie near Portland is a great shop)

the older a car is, the less important it's brand/model reputation is, and the more important it's prior care and present condition are.

FB25 engines have a timing chain, no belt service to mess with. I think that starts with 2013 (maybe 12?) for the Outback 4 cyl.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

2012 was first year for FB25 on the Outbacks here in the US.

for 11k you'll be looking at around a 08-11' with around 70-120k miles on it (also depending on year)

The 2011 (maybe 2010) with the EJ25 engine had the updated HG from factory so they are not likely to develop the feared "HG failure". 2011-13 Forester and 12-13 outbacks had the oil consumption issues due to poor choice of piston rings. So if she doesn't want to have to add oil to her car, avoid those years (unless the engine was warrantied)

• Like 1

picking-up a car that needs the TB done (around 105K OR 105 months) can be a good strategy because, you can use the cost of that to negotiate a little lower price PLUS, you get the knowledge that the TB job is done properly by you or your mechanic. Getting a car with - say 120K miles from an owner that says "yeah, timing belt was replaced" might SEEM like a good plan, but some folks just do a belt-slap when the toothed roller (and other idlers, and tensioner) are likely points of failure.

• Like 1

That sounds about right provided mileage isn't 150k+

I'd highly recommend having a independant Subaru shop look at it before you buy it.

I've heard of too many people getting screwed over with cars. That they didn't have checked out by a professional first.

Edited by golucky66

Absolutely not on dayco!   Now made in china !!!  Had a tensioner let go 50 miles later ... munched all the valves ...  got screwed over by the parts house and they only paid 1/4 of my labor !  I did make them supply only OE parts at their cost !  

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 1

you want Dealer-supplied, or, Mitsuboshi belt

dealer or NTN tensioner

rollers to have Japanese bearings

many threads on this , - online dealer parts house, local dealer (ask them to match on-line prices) ebay, rockauto, amazon, etc.

do a search for threads about this.

(IF you decide to change waterpump, get dealer or Aisin and metal gasket)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1