Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's cold, heat please!

So after a nightmare of a wiring issue I have a new one. I need heat! I have a Weber swapped ea82 GL wagon. The heat is not hot. It's a coolish warm. I also have no control, it is stuck on blowing on the heat setting only. Since I have a Weber, can somebody tell me where the vacuum line goes in the proper place in the engine compartment? I already back flushed the system. Still no luck. Any tips tricks and how to's will be taken. I'll even send my Christmas fruitcake from last year to whoever is he biggest help.

The heater controls are not vacuum powered. just the recirc door is. The cable from the controls to the mode door is either broke, disconnected or the mode door is not working. As far as the temp, the same things can apply or the heater control valve (on the firewall just to the left of the gas pedal) is stuck or the heater core is plugged. Check both cables and doors for movement, pull the heater hoses & flush the core and make sure the hose on the core side of the valve is getting hot to verify it's open.

I did my swap 2 years ago, backflushed and everything, never could get very hot heat, even blocking the rad, (the motor runs so cool), ...

Last week, all of a sudden, my heat is cookin'! There must have been some blockage that finally broke loose! (Also an 85 GL wagon, btw)

Edited by rrgrr

Engine at normal operating temp and both radiator hoses are hot, both heater hoses are hot. I think a door is open somewhere on this. I thought a 1987 GL was vacuum operated doors for the system? I could be wrong but I'm definitely looking for a stuck one that's letting in cold air

All the settings are vacuum controlled, if you don't have vacuum to the system it obviously won't work. 

On the driver side under the outside vent there's a lever with three positions. It's been a while since my GL has been on the road, but it moves between outside air coming directly into the vent to heater air into the vent. Make sure the lever is in the correct position. The outside passenger vent is similar except it's a knob under the vent to change it from outside air to hvac.

The center vents and defrost should always be connected to the hvac system. If your vacuum lines aren't hooked up it's possible the blend doors are blocking air from coming out any vents or it's in recirc mode. That's the first thing you should check.

Another common issue is the lower fan speeds burning out, mine would only work on speeds 3 and 4, so make sure your fan is running.

The heater controls are not vacuum powered. just the recirc door is. The cable from the controls to the mode door is either broke, disconnected or the mode door is not working. As far as the temp, the same things can apply or the heater control valve (on the firewall just to the left of the gas pedal) is stuck or the heater core is plugged. Check both cables and doors for movement, pull the heater hoses & flush the core and make sure the hose on the core side of the valve is getting hot to verify it's open.

You are wrong here regarding EA82s

ALL of the blower direction controls are Vac controlled for Non-XT EA82 cars.

The blend door for temperature is cable controlled.  Check for the cable connected (above /right of gas pedal) and check that the bevel gear it engages that actually moves the door is not stirpped or otherwise out of wack.

So definitely going to look at all vacuum lines and cables. Kinda strange but I took the car on it's first 15 mile drive since being fixed. The vents don't change i.e. heater to defrost but I actually got decent heat. Maybe there was still something blocking flow. I'll update tomorrow as I'll have time to work on it