Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy - Alarm Sounding - Key Doesn't Activate Satrter

My '95 Legacy developed a sudden problem today. The factory alarm system started going off. The horn is sounding and the lights are flashing. Also, the starter won't work when I turn the key.

I tried disconnecting the battery for about five minutes, assuming that would reset the alarm. When I reconnected the battery, the alarm immediately resumed.

Opening the door causes the alarm to sound. It goes off for about 3 - 5 minutes. I tried sitting in the car until the alarm stopped, hoping that the car would then start when the alarm isn't actually sounding but, it won't.

I have tried turning the key off and on a few times, as this supposedly sometimes fixes the issue... No change.

The car does not have keyless entry... No FOB.

Am I correct in assuming that the alarm disables the starter on this car?

Is there an easy way to permanently disable or bypass the security system?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Yes the alarm system will disable the starter.

Not sure exactly why it would go off randomly (there's a lot of reasons it could) but to disable it disconnect the battery then reconnect it with the key in the On position.

Thanks for the reply. I tried reconnecting the battery with the ignition in the "on" position this morning. It didn't work.

do some of the older systems have a rest or other type button to push?

hte key cycle trick for our 03 only works if I go from OFF to ON 3 times quickly - no stopping at ACC.

When I tried switching the key back and forth, I didn't stop at acc. Just a quich flip from on to off a few times. No dice.

Some Subies do have a rest button but, I'm not sure if the '95 does... I have not yet found a button under there.

Thanks for the reply. I tried reconnecting the battery with the ignition in the "on" position this morning. It didn't work.

Assuming it's a factory alarm system that should have worked. Sounds like the security module has taken the dirt nap and will probably just have to be unplugged and the starter interrupt relay bypassed.

• Like 1

Are you sure it's a Factory system?

If so there should be a reset button connected to two brown wires.  Have to press and hold the switch with the key on.

If it's and aftermarket system, I pull them out and restore the wiring to normal.  More problems then they are worth IMHO.

• Like 1