Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So in an attempt to pass on the Subaru to the next generation of drivers, after my son  got some gas (yes I heard that gasp!)and was on his way the 93 legacy suddenly died.Being a fairly new driver and not much mechanical experience--details of what happened shortly  before are sketchy at best. Had it towed back home and am scratching my head as to why the "sudden death".She still turns over with no signs of actually starting Checked the alternator and checked out fine. Pulled the fuel line off,turned on key and nothing.Cannot figure out which fuse/relay controls fuel pump. bad fuel pump? other issues???? I am puzzled at this point and am looking for help,ideas to get this faithful friend back on the road. 

Timing belt.

Take the passenger side end cover off (3 x 10mm head bolts ) and confirm.

Now that's a great idea that I was hoping I wouldn't have to face since I  replaced at 150,000 (now has 170,000).However I will put on my big boy pants and have a look to either rule that out or correct the issue. Would you happen to know if the fuel pump should be pushing fuel with key in the on position?

thx

Yes , should see fuel flow.

Pumps are easy to replace too.

Plenty of info here. Turn the key to Start and listen for the fuel pump. It’s behind the rear passenger seat. Fold seat , pick up carpet - wagons have the plastic strip retainer - and see an oval shaped cover with Phillips screws and remove that. You’ll see the electrical connector and three rubber lines. That’s your baby !

Let us know what happened , please.

Sounds like fuel since you reminded me to read better. ;)

Eric !!! Like button - ;)

20k out of a timing kit - IF that’s the case please let us know what you bought for a kit or belt. I sure hope it didn’t fail from being inferior.

If you didn’t change pulleys - well that could cause a 20k failure.

Enjoy the chase. It’ll be running again soon.