Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wife noticed a wet spot under car last night.  Turned out to be gasoline.  I suspected filler tube.  Just pulled all the covers and the filler tube, what I can see, appears not to be the problem. Fuel is dripping from right-front corner of the tank.  Going to pull the rear seat thinking there is an inspection plate there for the fuel pump. I topped off the tank Friday.  Don't yet know if that is part of the problem.  Anyways, if the filler tube is not the problem, any ideas what else could be?

maybe inspect for cracked plastic or leaking hoses?

when you say 'top-off', are you continuing to fill after the pump handle clicks off? that can lead to problems. Sure, rounding up to the nearest 10 cents or 'maybe' 25 cents is unlikely to be an issue, but the carbon canister can flood if you or another driver fills to overflowing every time - then particles of carbon can get into the evap system leading to issues too.

• Like 1

Yes, very bad idea to overfill past the pump click off.  Evap systems can get really expensive to diagnose and repair !  Even if you are going  past the click off ... there should be no leakage. As LT said look close for bad hose/ cracks/ loose pump bolts...  something isn't rite !  Puddle in the morning is making me think your fuel line is draining backwards overnight ...

Edited by montana tom

No, I don't overfill.  The leak is either the pump gasket or one of the hose connecters.  Disconnected the 2 hoses this morning, sort of dried the top of the pump and will wait to see if more fuel puddles up.  

Had a good-size stain under the car this morning which makes me think some sort of siphoning is going on.  Leaning toward a bad gasket but can't figure out why it would leak around the gasket.  Tank not pressurized/engine not running. 

"making me think your fuel line is draining backwards"

How is this possible? Bad FPR?

Edited by john in KY

New gasket arrived today.  Original gasket looked good but by a stain on part of the pump flange I ascertained it was leaking there. Area with the stain, the plastic flange has a small crack...damn.  I applied a dab of ultra gray, reassembled everything and currently still dry.  Really really don't ever want to do this job again but if it starts to leak again, I'll bit the bullet and get a new pump.

Edit:  Did learn why the pump housing leaked when the rank was less than full and not pressurized.  The pump assembly resides inside its own little tank/canister.  A second pump pumps fuel into the fuel pump canister and then the main pump feeds the injectors.  No matter how full or empty the main tank is, the fuel pump is always completely submerged in fuel. 

Edited by john in KY
  • Like 2