Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Crank pulley repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mykal

mykal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Arlington, WA

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Swamping out the crank pulley and the boss / spacer came out and didn't get aligned correctly on the reinstall.  Need help on the parts list.  We're ordering a new bolt, o-ring, and boss but we're not sure what else we will need up to the sprocket.  In the pictures you can see the back of the boss damaged at the keyed opening.  At the sprocket it looks like the key is the piece at about 10 o'clock and it's also damaged.  I think the sprocket is good, is that little piece the key #E50506? and is the shiny metal ring behind it against the sprocket a separate piece or part of the sprocket?

Anyone who has any additional information please help, thank you.

#2 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,482 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

In general a Subaru only needs the crank pulley bolted on, that’s it. You don’t need Anything else. The key isn’t necessary at all unless you’re planning on installing the bolt too loose. 3 foot pipe over socket, crank down the bolt and the crank pulley will not come off.

I’ve repaired tons of these - mangled cranks, keys, pulleys from pulleys that weren’t installed right enough. Just clean up the metal shavings, make sure the sprocket isn’t damaged such that it’ll damage the timing belt, massage until pulley sits flush and bolt it on.

If you have an older gen with distributor, where you want to be able to set the timing off the crank then just stick any small bolt/wooden dowel, coat hangar, etc - through the dowel pin holes to line up the crank pulley.

Sure if you want the key and H6 cover and get it all perfect then have at it but they are not necessary.

Maybe my phone isn’t showing the whole thread but I don’t see any pictures or info. Don’t know what vehicle you’re working on or trying to do it what happened?

I have no idea what you mean by “boss” and other words you’re using. Crank pulleys don’t have orings although EZ H6s have a cover that maybe had an oring. It’s not necessary or requires. It yeah replace it if you want.

#3 mykal

mykal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Arlington, WA

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Attached File  BRZ1a.jpg   112.75K   11 downloads

Attached File  BRZ2a.jpg   64.49K   13 downloads

Attached File  BRZ3a.jpg   64.35K   10 downloads

2017 BRZ

Trying pics again.  After looking at them on the computer vs phone I can see a crack in the sprocket now too.

#4 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,482 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

ah a 2017 BRZ that certainly changes things. 

is it still under warranty?

i think you posted this in the wrong forum - this needs to go in the correct Newer Generation forum, maybe more people will see it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users