Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank pulley repair

Swamping out the crank pulley and the boss / spacer came out and didn't get aligned correctly on the reinstall.  Need help on the parts list.  We're ordering a new bolt, o-ring, and boss but we're not sure what else we will need up to the sprocket.  In the pictures you can see the back of the boss damaged at the keyed opening.  At the sprocket it looks like the key is the piece at about 10 o'clock and it's also damaged.  I think the sprocket is good, is that little piece the key #E50506? and is the shiny metal ring behind it against the sprocket a separate piece or part of the sprocket?

Anyone who has any additional information please help, thank you.

• Like 1

In general a Subaru only needs the crank pulley bolted on, that’s it. You don’t need Anything else. The key isn’t necessary at all unless you’re planning on installing the bolt too loose. 3 foot pipe over socket, crank down the bolt and the crank pulley will not come off.

I’ve repaired tons of these - mangled cranks, keys, pulleys from pulleys that weren’t installed right enough. Just clean up the metal shavings, make sure the sprocket isn’t damaged such that it’ll damage the timing belt, massage until pulley sits flush and bolt it on.

If you have an older gen with distributor, where you want to be able to set the timing off the crank then just stick any small bolt/wooden dowel, coat hangar, etc - through the dowel pin holes to line up the crank pulley.

Sure if you want the key and H6 cover and get it all perfect then have at it but they are not necessary.

Maybe my phone isn’t showing the whole thread but I don’t see any pictures or info. Don’t know what vehicle you’re working on or trying to do it what happened?

I have no idea what you mean by “boss” and other words you’re using. Crank pulleys don’t have orings although EZ H6s have a cover that maybe had an oring. It’s not necessary or requires. It yeah replace it if you want.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a customer do this on a 2016 WRX with 600 miles on it. Ended up being cheaper to replace the engine. When he went to start it, it sheared off the key and the timing chain jumped, breaking teeth off the crank sprocket and bending valves on at least both the intake and exhaust sides of the RH head.

Hopefully your luck is better. But you're at least un-timing it to replace the woodruff key and possibly the crank sprocket.

• 2 weeks later...

another reason to avoid gimmicky "performance" parts like "lightweight" pulleys and "cold air" intakes.

Subaru spent millions on designing a good dependable design.........why triffle with 2 bit "upgrade" that case more harm than good.

Warranty Voided on brand new car + weekender bench racing = dumb

Thanks for the replies, it's all back together now.  It was a chain cover pull as GeneralDisorder said.  $120 in parts and a day worth of work.  Got the e-force supercharger installed, header, over-pipe, front pipe, exhaust, coilovers, lower rear control arms, new shoes, and it's ready for a tune and final set-up with all my gimmicky performance part.  Warranty?  hahahaha!  

Thanks for the replies, it's all back together now.  It was a chain cover pull as GeneralDisorder said.  $120 in parts and a day worth of work.  Got the e-force supercharger installed, header, over-pipe, front pipe, exhaust, coilovers, lower rear control arms, new shoes, and it's ready for a tune and final set-up with all my gimmicky performance part.  Warranty?  hahahaha!  

That's great news.  Will you please send me a small cutting of that money tree you have so I can grow my own?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...