Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need plug & wire information. (search already done)

I did a search on this subject, but it wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped it would be. So, I guess I'll have to start a new thread.

I have a 2000 Forester, which obviously has the 2.5L 4-cyl.

This morning, which was very damp, I had some hesitation and bucking on acceleration, which went away once the car had been running for a while, so I'm guessing the wires had absorbed some moisture and then the engine heat "baked" the moisture out after about 10 min.

Seein' as how I have almost 54,000 miles and (as far as I know, the original plugs & wires... Well, you get the picture.

I need to know what to buy, because I don't want to get bent over at the dealership.

Here are the questions:

1) These APPEAR, at a cursory glance, to be ordinary plug wires, as opposed to some fancy resistor thing. Is that true?

2) Any particular wire brand happen to have gained a reputation for being good? This isn't a hot-rod, and I don't need some kind of fancy plug wires. I just want to buy good quality, stock-type wires.

3) What plugs seem to work well in our cars? I see a number of people like NGK, which I do as well. Are they good? What part number NGK's?

4) What gap should they be set at?

5) Other than plugs & wires, are there any other tune-up items I should hit at this time?

I guess that's about it for now.

I'm not sure about the specific part no's but I have bought NGK's(wires/plugs) thru http://www.speedycarparts.com/ . The site has a way of selecting the parts based on your selection of vehicle make, model etc.. pretty easy. There are of course other sites and some may be better but this is just one I have used and like due to their prices, ease of use and selection. As for the gap check your users manual it should be stated there.

I replace my plugs once a year and wires every two years. Oh yea and don't forget to put anti seize compound on the spark plug threads.

91 Legacy LS 2.2

Good luck

Sam