Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need plug & wire information. (search already done)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LameRandomName

LameRandomName

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Earth

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:20 PM

I did a search on this subject, but it wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped it would be. So, I guess I'll have to start a new thread.

I have a 2000 Forester, which obviously has the 2.5L 4-cyl.

This morning, which was very damp, I had some hesitation and bucking on acceleration, which went away once the car had been running for a while, so I'm guessing the wires had absorbed some moisture and then the engine heat "baked" the moisture out after about 10 min.

Seein' as how I have almost 54,000 miles and (as far as I know, the original plugs & wires... Well, you get the picture.

I need to know what to buy, because I don't want to get bent over at the dealership.

Here are the questions:

1) These APPEAR, at a cursory glance, to be ordinary plug wires, as opposed to some fancy resistor thing. Is that true?

2) Any particular wire brand happen to have gained a reputation for being good? This isn't a hot-rod, and I don't need some kind of fancy plug wires. I just want to buy good quality, stock-type wires.

3) What plugs seem to work well in our cars? I see a number of people like NGK, which I do as well. Are they good? What part number NGK's?

4) What gap should they be set at?

5) Other than plugs & wires, are there any other tune-up items I should hit at this time?

I guess that's about it for now.

#2 sam888

sam888

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • SEATTLE

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:38 PM

I'm not sure about the specific part no's but I have bought NGK's(wires/plugs) thru http://www.speedycarparts.com/ . The site has a way of selecting the parts based on your selection of vehicle make, model etc.. pretty easy. There are of course other sites and some may be better but this is just one I have used and like due to their prices, ease of use and selection. As for the gap check your users manual it should be stated there.

I replace my plugs once a year and wires every two years. Oh yea and don't forget to put anti seize compound on the spark plug threads.

91 Legacy LS 2.2

Good luck

Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users