Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help figuring out problem

I own a 1996 subaru impreza with a 2.2L engine with 83,000 miles on it. A couple days ago I noticed the car running kinda funny when I came to a stop. It seemed more like a ruff idle problem. About an hour of driving my check engine light came on and the car was shugging along. The weird part about it all is when I get to about 55 mph and start to coast along and give it alittle gas the car start to shake extremely bad. Like what happens to a manual shifting car when you drive 30 mph in 5th gear. When the motor kicks down a gear it seems to go fine till it shifts again. I took it to the shop and they told me the code is for a misfire. Well lets see I just had some service done 3,000 miles ago (timing belt, crank case seal, plugs, wires, and fuel filter) The shop told me maybe it had to do with the weather being so humid. I gave it a day or two and nothing has worked the problem is still there. So today I took it back to the shop and they told me that they can't fix it cause they don't know what is wrong with it. If anyone can help me that would be sooo great. Maybe I have a bad fuel injector or something stupid needs to be replaced. They did try a new coil pack and that didn't change anything and also put new plugs in today too. Before I spend all my money on nothing I hope that someone has an answer for me.

A friend of mine had similar symptoms with her Nissan Pathfinder. It was the MAF. She found a salvaged one online for about $100. I'm told they can be cleaned, if not totally dead. Not sure how one would go about cleaning it, though.

Also, perhaps cleaning the throttle body?