Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 makin' buttermilk in catchcan

jono

Got not oil in water

Got no water in oil

120,000km since rebore rebuild

Never over heated but worked hard

Catch can off lhs rocker fills up with buttermilk about 700 ml when full.

Bit puzzled

Any ideas, corrosion somewhere?

Slight Welch plug? But are brass

Um, no one drive , ah ha... you guys don't do roundabouts like we do - clockwise!

Its all modified so no petroleum carburetor, no factory air box, has an exposed air filter element with rebreather on top plate if air filter above an Impco propane carby

As a precaution to prevent any oil dropping in on air filter element, and because I had the canister kicking about chucked it on

Just as well as it has caught the crap, it has served its purpose.

Blow by does not produce steam to mix with oil to make buttermilk

Normally if a mild steel ferrous metal Welch plug was in it to rust out I would understand and expect water in my oil

I am gonna have to do a comp test for starters.

It was starting to lose water but first thought it was from its cheap nasty eBay radiator

Edited by jono

I'll be really puzzled if its a brass Welch plug leaking. Comps cold are all within 5 of 175 on the generic ea71,81,82 slugs. A leak down test be next once I fix the nostart issue. Last time an ea81 fsix blew steam after two months nothing was salvaged except dizzy - it all went to scrap yard

OK. She now fires and runs thanks to an original Hitachi ignition module. The rather new module failed just a few minutes after an engine bay degrease

OK. Talking blow by...rockers denuded of tubes and although no smoke from water or oil it does sound and feel like a gentle tail pipe warm air pumping out both sides

Now I remember also before I swapped to Brumby#3 this one spat the dip stick out and coated engine bay in a rust preventative. I gave it a good clean up there and then before parking it

So, blow by on such a young fresh engine

Guess I will find the water contributor some day too. But current daily drivers EA82 power plant is destined to replace this blow by baby. Daily driver gets the ea82T after I swap heads and my newish valve springs in.

Like all others, got non car stuff to deal with.

Thanks for suggestions. Will have to dredge this thread up when autopsy the ea81

Not normal for me.

Sorry GD, my fault for not hexplaining how different this one is.

Catch can is black, cylindrical strapped to all AC bracket feeds to top of air filter. RHS is alone with one way valve and bare filter

post-11063-0-73915900-1512808937_thumb.jpg