Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjusting Valves with Heads Removed

Want to adjust valves while heads are on the work bench. Don't see any instructions in the FSM.. Just got heads resurfaced and installed cam shafts. All valves are closed. Therefore rocker arms should be riding on the lowest part of camshaft. Anyone else use this method for valve adjustment?

What kind of engine? EA, EJ FB?

Hi its a ej253 non avls. My assumption is the same procedure would be valid for avls heads, since the FSM  has the same procedure for avls and non avls heads while heads are on the engine.

Edited by steve56

Yup.

Once cam cases are fully sealed and torqued, you are good to go adjusting valves.

Just make sure that the valves you are adjusting are closed.

Still need some guidance as to where the cam arrows should be pointing before adjusting valves.Since the timing belt is disconnected, its not  the usual 12, 3, 6, 9 arrow positions,. Not sure where the low spot on cam is.

Steve ; I roll the cam until one set of valves opens then I set the rockers on the other, close the first set and open the ones that you adjusted and adjust them.  I then continue on with the other cylinder , rechecking the completed valves as I go, to confirm adjustment.  Then on to the other head. A few minutes on glass and 150 grit and the heads are ready to go back on.