Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 WRX Brat SWAP!

ScoobieDoobie

WHATS UP GUYS!!

Check out my YouTube channel for the most up to date progress!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhvLjCFIoC6LFmt17Fu4Pj5WL74FBU0qw

Been browsing this forum for a few months trying to get ideas for my project and I finally decided to join and build it along with you guys!

Open to any advice/criticism but doesnt necessarily mean I will listen to it! :P

The beginning of this thread will basically be a copy and paste from an existing thread I have on another forum!

I'm planning to do wrx engine, trans, suspension components, even dashboard!

currently(10/30) I nearly have the front end completed (for now)

as it sits now, I am currently on this setup

• stock brat crossmember modded to accept EJ engine mount and wrx control arms
  • stock brat manual steering rack
  • 1" crossmember spacer
  • wrx control arms
  • wrx knuckles
  • wrx/sti struts
  • 04 sti stock springs
  • stock brat 2 bolt top hat (temporary)
  • brat radius arm mount bracket modded to fit wrx control arm
  • custom tranny mount

pic of it arriving at the shop.. yay for selectable awd

GbnXTVC.jpg

ouchhh.. nice and crusty :(

sJitpze.jpg

time to get a good look at her

5pnfypn.jpg

found this girl as my drivetrain donor (parting out other parts)

OT1Tsln.jpg

time to cut her all up

p9C8bik.jpg

Edited by ScoobieDoobie

most of the cancer cut out of the rear sill

0hDLBgP.jpg

pic with the sti ;)

WnJiJO9.jpg

stock carb had issues and we were sick of pushing so we rigged an old Chevy single barrel on there with a custom throttle cable setup lol

VwdjzEs.jpg

time to get some solid metal back in the rear end

cJvS2uQ.jpg

pic with the daily

qL4OorY.jpg

stripping out all the old sound deadening and finding the cancer underneath

jnZwuN1.jpg

more cancer to cut out.. was thru the cab wall.. no good.

q0Ciukr.jpg

new piece fits good, time to weld it in..

8uFE7ZT.jpg

tacked in..

iEjiJEB.jpg

fully burnt in LOL

D3HpEFM.jpg

not so bad for a first timer ;)

W9fmgRo.jpg

andddd all seam sealed up inside and out..

9Ff0yLK.jpg

now it's time to get back to the rear end and finish it up...

this is what we left off with... need to make some new corner curves ourselves.. was very fun lol not really TBDRUfm.jpg

first we have to cut out all the bad stuff..

XUpD4hK.jpg

first piece made...

AAvCXKk.jpg

pieces have been made and tacked in..

nsHCqEP.jpg

other side fully welded in by my buddy, the pro...

1xz2i7E.jpg

looks good to me :)

vKSl5l2.jpg

tailgate fits good

0mUWNBc.jpg

all sealed up..

Ub5uHtB.jpg

time to attack driver side inside rocker and floor ...

rocker is pretty much complete in first pic..

67V2f2a.jpg

getting it shaped and tacked in ..

05JKDxY.jpg

QDkTuAb.jpg

time to attack the floor section

haWH89g.jpg

tbkwM5B.jpg

and nearly all finished for this area...

fBNVgNV.jpg

starting messing around trying to see how the wrx interior will fit, doesn't look bad to me.

IKYVcbG.jpg

hCoxqVt.jpg

bed is fully primed.. think I'm just going to do por-15 for right now then Bedliner later after wrx suspension is fitted.

tDtg2IA.jpg

also dashboard and all hvac had been stripped out..

KmrrgrA.jpg

more updates, made a bunch of templates yesterday.. welded in the 2 side pieces for the support member near front driver wheel..

Jv83ULm.jpg

waiting for por15 to coat the inside walls and then weld the bottom piece on..

l6uipG8.jpg

driver side floor all welded up.

P7l5dO0.jpg

seam seal and por15 next and then onto the passenger side

here is the driver side floor mostly stripped all the way down getting ready for por15

MHEl4pF.jpg

driver front floor section has been por15'd

gH6oldh.jpg

support member underneath driver floor has been built and inside por15'd

n0qPsyq.jpg

patch piece for rear section of driver floor

O4rxqTA.jpg

and the bed raptor lined :D

it's gonna get another 2-4 coats nice and even after all the fab work is completed underneath for the wrx suspension

QKM4qXY.jpg

got the motor and trans out today.. very easy compared to a wrx.. lol

W2N0C6A.jpg

pX6sMxY.jpg

oh my.. look what we have here...

sKxIBUM.jpg

bqQDfd6.jpg

I started tearing into the front end and figuring out how to make the wrx suspension fit..

So first things first... take all the brat stuff out !

6oIcPdX.jpg

next was mocking up the wrx member..

6UUpV5A.jpg

wrx member is way too wide!

originally was going to weld the wrx member to brat frame rails but decided against that..

brat crossmember fits wrx arms and engine mounts with barely any modification (minor)

UUOrGFr.jpg

AdYVUDt.jpg

now that brat member is bolted back in time to make the wrx stuff fit..

cXGsvMr.jpg

temporarily using brat top hats on sti struts untik i figure out the top hat mounting..

AEp7fNf.jpg

only one piece left before suspension is fully bolted in.. have to make custom bracket/mount..

ptl4eQv.jpg

some 17s with big snow tires for my lifted impreza... not fitting... lol

scDAiLV.jpg

AffVOjC.jpg

and after all that realized the brat subframe doesnt droop nearly as low as wrx one so spacers will be made.. (nearly finished today)

rear end is coming next

spacers fitted in place..

hIa3e0J.jpg

little bit of mockup action..

lBepuZc.jpg

time to make this brat bracket fit wrx control arm

22y0VxN.jpg

JuVni00.jpg

qbxyyne.jpg

slowly getting there... next is fab up a tranny mount.. next updates coming Sunday..

the bracket will also be reinforced

fiPTNww.jpg

second mount point for control arm made and ready to be tacked in

ClZ9Qsv.jpg

zAO61Ly.jpg

time to put the real deal and see how it fits..

2LZL6b1.jpg

It sure is tight....

YHI9t9l.jpg

2h42s6y.jpg

SDXVJq5.jpg

stock rad still fits

iDMF1eQ.jpg

blQbMnT.jpg

way too close for comfort tho..

Also tranny mount fabbed up today forgot take pics. of that.

rear end coming soon!

started to attack the wrx wiring harness today

jeeeeezzzzz....

svWdKFr.jpg

first day i had no diagrams really and i forgot to label everything when i took it out of the wrx

delete pile from the first day.  mostly just airbag wiring...

0JNMs4O.jpg

then i downloaded some wiring diagrams...

who can make sense of this?? hahaha

TGzkcf6.png

nNfGX1S.jpg

piles getting bigger..

2hYwywb.jpg

yikesss...

Lnc4Yqz.jpg

LAidYsG.jpg

i think im done... hopefully

9JhGY3D.jpg

bout 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets of loom and tape...

iaxpShl.jpg

hopefully i dont need any of those...

p2qkGjc.jpg

engine bay harness pretty much done..

Kdu2l1r.jpg

poor wrx..

wEavSIS.jpg

accidently broke the rear windhshield... ugh

kK6ogVt.jpg

time to get cut into pieces... sorry....

QL72G81.jpg

took off work all last week to put in time on the brat...
worked a solid 50 hrs i would say but progression is still really slow lol

ok time to start working on fitting wrx interior...

first up is dash support bar.. time to hack it up

aKU5qcq.jpg

its in there...

0JYqEqX.jpg

time to make the actual dashboard fit..

zKH8Zx6.jpg

its in there but wayyy too wide for doors to close..

next is steering wheel...

YcFLPqw.jpg

looks good enough to fool some idiots on the internet

FxoL6oe.jpg

yayy the doors close now! barelyyyy....

0xBHjT0.jpg

next cut out the rusty spare tire well and make room for pedal assembly mounts and slave cylinder etc...

XPzNdbn.jpg

next is fitting wrx tranny tunnel..

zbGwRft.jpg

rough cut..

MnBYDTv.jpg

test fit...

56ierdK.jpg

continued...

cMdTOKL.jpg

all cleaned up ready to weld..

JWx1hjn.jpg

and heres a pic of us shortening the stub on the brat brake booster... (wrx one is nearly impossible to fit)

p6KIAnw.jpg

got some more progress for those interested...

first up ill show you how to make a wrx steering column fit a brat steering rack

VJ5dn7t.jpg

tranny tunnel getting burnt in place

9lfX1kM.jpg

time to cut up rear end of wrx for strut towers  crossmember and trailing arm mounting points

gFGYWqg.jpg

towers braced and cut..

GN9Qtq1.jpg

crossmember mounts cut out

BOJ3f5T.jpg

not much left ..

PyMVdtY.jpg

temporary crossmember made up so we had somewhere to lift from while we figure out trailing arm mounts.

a1h5yAG.jpg

initial crossmember mock up.. before we realized we would have to lower it 3" down to get correct suspension angles

SvSDYb8.jpg

tranny crossmember mocked up

M2oz5TL.jpg

rear crossmember in place after 3" dropdown

p6224Au.jpg

dat fitment tho...

TvPT4xM.jpg

pashXYI.jpg

ovdiH1z.jpg

357k2hp.jpg

zzYJ4K2.jpg

lol thats just a fixed piece of metal holding wheel in place.. wont stay like that forever but i do like the way it looks lol

will probably be around the final full droop height

ZaUp1WV.jpg

so nice to see matching wheels

ZfOjDe6.jpg

time to start cleaning and undercoating the areas that will be boxed in and never to be seen again

fBii7DQ.jpg

e6mw7Ix.jpg

pitch stop mount tacked in place..

6kPEkO6.jpg

Okay and there you guys have it, you are all caught up now on the progress!

Next to do is fab up trailing arm mounts and cut out brat wheel wells to make room for wrx ones!

• Like 3

Wow, I'm impressed. We've had a lot of people come on here and say they're going to do this, but once they realize the difficulty.....yikes. To my knowledge, it's only been done one other time.

Keep the information coming, and I'll add it to the FAQ.

I suspect you'll need custom axle shafts, as the EA81 front crossmember will have narrowed your track width fairly considerably.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm impressed. We've had a lot of people come on here and say they're going to do this, but once they realize the difficulty.....yikes. To my knowledge, it's only been done one other time.

Keep the information coming, and I'll add it to the FAQ.

I suspect you'll need custom axle shafts, as the EA81 front crossmember will have narrowed your track width fairly considerably.

hahaha tell me about it! I scoured these forums for hours trying to find a finish one!!

So far I've seen one in UK that did a whole floorpan swap and another in Australia or some other country (RhD) that took the same approach as me.

I'm aware of the need for custom front axles. Thank you! I might end up changing my mind down the road and using the wrx front member but it made more sense to do it this way for now, easy to bolt up.

I plan on finishing this no matter what it takes!

I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm aware of the need for custom front axles. Thank you! I might end up changing my mind down the road and using the wrx front member but it made more sense to do it this way for now, easy to bolt up.

Have a read of this build, post 16 would be the one to read about how they did the WRX front end in the brat.

A guy over here did a full conversion like this to the GLF hardtop (coupe). He grafted in the whole WRX firewall to make a lot of things easier and to run the WRX climate control gear in the cab with the matching dashboard.

Turned out really neat (and is up for sale again) but unfortunately all his pics of his build are lost on the interwebs :(

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

Have a read of this build, post 16 would be the one to read about how they did the WRX front end in the brat.A guy over here did a full conversion like this to the GLF hardtop (coupe). He grafted in the whole WRX firewall to make a lot of things easier and to run the WRX climate control gear in the cab with the matching dashboard.Turned out really neat (and is up for sale again) but unfortunately all his pics of his build are lost on the interwebs :(CheersBennie

hey thanks for that link! that's some neat stuff right there! I think for now I am going to keep the brat crossmember.. I already have the wrx column mated to the brat steering rack and I don't plan to have any climate controls other then a basic defrost function that I will do myself. as of now the plan is to eliminate all the systems I don't absolutely need, power steering, A.C, airbags, cruise control, etc. I wanna keep the car as light as possible and as clean and sleak as possible when it's all done.. I want it to be somewhere between a racecar/show car/ weekend warrior hahaha

If I was trying to go Wrx steering rack and stuff I would be trying to fit the wrx front member but I really don't think it's necessary. just pushing the car around at slow speeds it turns great with the manual rack.

Also for now I haven't really hacked any of the front end up so I can always change my mind and go back and make the wrx xmember fit but for now I am happy with the brat x member..

Btw, what's up with this guy? ^^^^^

Edited by ScoobieDoobie
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

would you be willing to help out with my brat build? looks like you arent too far away, lol.

What are you looking to get done to it?

I don't have the room to do 2 of these at once but maybe once I'm done. it's not any easy or quick job at all. insane amount of fabrication job. 

It won't be cheap.

Mainly i was looking for a bit of help fitting the front and rear subframes to the brat so that i can run wrx suspension and brakes.

I am planning on making it into a rally car. Looking at trying to get it in for ARA's Naturally Aspirated 4wd class.

I am only planning on running an ea82 from an 89 xt with the 5spd from my 86 rx. Figured that would be the easiest and most cost effective way for me get my start in rally since i already have most of the parts, lol.

Doubt i could afford to pay someone to do the build for me, im generally broke, lol. Life has kicked me a bit more than usual the last year, so im trying to do as much as possible on a tight budget.

Mainly i was looking for a bit of help fitting the front and rear subframes to the brat so that i can run wrx suspension and brakes.

I am planning on making it into a rally car. Looking at trying to get it in for ARA's Naturally Aspirated 4wd class.

I am only planning on running an ea82 from an 89 xt with the 5spd from my 86 rx. Figured that would be the easiest and most cost effective way for me get my start in rally since i already have most of the parts, lol.

Doubt i could afford to pay someone to do the build for me, im generally broke, lol. Life has kicked me a bit more than usual the last year, so im trying to do as much as possible on a tight budget.

I'm still using the brat front crossmember.. if you're not concerned with power steering I would keep the brat x member.. much easier.

as for rear.. it's quite the task. personally I cut the frame rails from the wrx.. I bolted the crossmember to them.. then I used a screw jack to hold it up while I took measurements and got it centered.

I had to add a 3" dropdown spacer so the wrx suspension would be sitting at the correct angles.

I then tacked it place and started working on the trailing arm mounts.

the entire rear end basically has to be refabbed.

I know all about being broke and doing things on a budget... hence why I'm not paying someone to do this build...

I would love to help but I can't afford to do 40+ hrs of fab work for free.. I got way too much stuff that I need to do myself.

I'll always be here to answer any questions you might have tho.

looking a the differences in the suspension designs, using the 2012 wrx parts i have might make it a bit easier since the newer chassis doesnt have the tall rear strut towers like the older models. It is my hope that the mounting points wont be too different between the brat and GR chassis.

hopefully, i will be getting started on this soon, i will let you know how it goes.

maybe once we get our cars done, we can have a meet up

looking a the differences in the suspension designs, using the 2012 wrx parts i have might make it a bit easier since the newer chassis doesnt have the tall rear strut towers like the older models. It is my hope that the mounting points wont be too different between the brat and GR chassis.

hopefully, i will be getting started on this soon, i will let you know how it goes.

maybe once we get our cars done, we can have a meet up

This sounds like a huge amount of work for negligible gains. I know XT6 parts aren't common, but still hugely simpler/cheaper than fabbing an entire suspension system in there. Especially when the gas tank and a governing body is involved (make sure you check the rules about that. I have a feeling that running a fuel cell in the bed will require some specific precautions).

• Like 2

This sounds like a huge amount of work for negligible gains. I know XT6 parts aren't common, but still hugely simpler/cheaper than fabbing an entire suspension system in there. Especially when the gas tank and a governing body is involved (make sure you check the rules about that. I have a feeling that running a fuel cell in the bed will require some specific precautions).

What he said.. if you're just concerned about 5 lug and better suspension components you are better off sourcing XT6 parts..

I don't see the point in doing all the work just to have the suspension components..

like numbchux said.. it seems like a waste of time honestly.

not trying to discourage you but just giving you food for thought..

the crossmember is not going to be close. I can almost guarantee that.

I was hoping for the same but it wasn't even close.

Gas tank is a whole nother ball game.. 

you should have some sort of fabrications skills before taking this on...

also  i would recommend investing in a plasma cutter if you really decide to go on with the project.

• Like 1

You have been showing your brat some love! What is her name? That thing is going to smash when you get to drive her. Beautiful car. Do you have a set of jump seats?

Oh and the reason that you accidentally broke that rear window is because you didn't scrape those cheesy stickers off sooner 

There are some cool builds on here, guys doing wrx swaps into ea81s and twin turbo LS swapped xts make me jealous!

Keep up the good work man

You have been showing your brat some love! What is her name? That thing is going to smash when you get to drive her. Beautiful car. Do you have a set of jump seats?

Oh and the reason that you accidentally broke that rear window is because you didn't scrape those cheesy stickers off sooner 

There are some cool builds on here, guys doing wrx swaps into ea81s and twin turbo LS swapped xts make me jealous!

Keep up the good work man

thanks brotha!

I didn't break the rear window tho?

I need to get working on her more but it's hard when I have other projects for other people going on that pay the bills ya know.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, nicksubaru said:

Holy s**t batman! Good job, i have an 86 brat and i dream about this build most nights. I dont have a wrx donor. But i do have a 99 OB, or a 92 leg that could be a donor. You think that would be a start? 

I'm sure a 2.2 or 2.5 non turbo would move a brat shell pretty good but personally I just wanted to do this build how I'm doing it.. I'm doing it for myself and just knowing I'm one of very few to do the swap to this extent.. all depends on your personal goals and preference.