Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Guys,

1996 EJ22 SOHC keeps bringing up a code misfire on #3 cylinder. Changed plug and wire and swaped injector problem still present. Any ideas were to look next?

If i clear the code it comes back almost immediately. Car runs ok but I can hear the miss in the exhaust.

Compression:  is 150 equal to or greater then the other 3 cylinders

Spark:   this runs a wasted spark system coil 1 Cylinder 1&2    Coil 2 Cylinder 3&4 I swapped wires for 3&4 misfire stayed on cylinder #3

Fuel:   I swapped #3 & #4 injector misfire stayed on cylinder #3

Air:  How can I check ?

The only code showing up is a P0303, What do you mean when you say HLA engine ?

This car is a 1998 Legacy GT  it was built with a 2.5, A previous owner did a swap to a EJ22.

I only know that because I can read it on the block.

I think the engine is a 1996 because the spark plugs do not go through the valve covers making it a non interference engine which were built 1990-1996

Also I think it has single port exhaust making it a 1995 or 1996.

Do you think the miss could come from a improperly seated intake or exhaust valve?

As for the injectors I do not own a noid light but i did check #3 with a test light and a meter for voltage.

With the key on I had constant voltage when the engine was running I was seeing a pulse on the test light.

Bill

Did a little research on the web if the motor is a 1996 it probably does have Hydraulic lifters. I may pull the valve cover just to take a look.

I drove the car on the highway today for 20 miles  it would not throw a code. (PO303)

code did not appear till i let the car idle, Seems like the miss is more prevalent at low RPM.

Still looking for a little help with this miss . Today I pulled the valve cover the engine does have Hydraulic lifters every thing looks good so I reinstalled the cover. I did get a new code today which read PO267. Any suggestions on the best way to trouble shoot this code?

injector code.

swap injectors again - it’s possible you pulled both and reinstalled back in the same place. Happens often.

Otherwise check the wiring from injector to ECU. FSMs are free all over the inter web and would give the exact data but check continuity and resistance from injector plug to ECU plug.

ECU is under passengers side front feet carpeting.