Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Subaru Legacy won’t move.

Hello Sophie fam!! I’m new to the site. So I just bought a 90 Legacy AWD automatic and it runs fantastic. But... the cv axel spins inside the splined hub on the front drivers side. so to my knowledge the splined hub is stripped out. I know that I have to replace them both. But my question is will 1 spun out hub cause the car not to move at all even with it being all wheel drive.

• Like 1

I know FWD cars in general won't move if they drop an axle (assuming that's an open diff, dunno about LSD, etc.) as I've run into that before. If car won't move as-is, replace the cv axle(s) up front and see if it'll move again. Not sure when Subaru started with it, but my 95' has a "FWD" fuse holder. Sticking any fuse in there forces FWD operation (for towing the car, etc.). If yours has something like that, make sure there's no fuse stuck in there from a previous owner.

Wow thank you all for the fast responses. It does have a fuse holder under the hood and if I’m correct it is only for, like Bushwick said for towing and emergencies like If you were to blow a tire and you have a donut that is a little bit off in size and putting a fuse in the slot disables the clutch pack in the transfer case so it won’t ruin the all-wheel-drive system. From my research “correct me if I’m wrong” the Torque split is 50/50 GeneralDisorder- I have not tried that yet I’ll be home in 30 min or so and I will try that.

You can put the trans in 2nd gear and hit the manual button. That should lock it in the 4WD.

Check the FWD fuse holder.

If it still doesn't move then suspect a failed transfer clutch pack

So I need to modify my original post. With further investigation I found out that the cv axel has broke right at the knuckle where the shaft goes threw the hub does that change anything?

Edited by AKLegacyGL

These cars are not known for stripping splines like the '80s cars, so that doesn't surprise me.

But, no, it doesn't change anything. The AWD system for virtually all Automatic Transmission Subarus is very front-biased. Once the computer detects the front wheels slipping, then it sends power to the rear. That said, your car should try to move with a broken axle (VERY bad for it, maybe someone already tried and burned out the transfer clutches). Manually selecting 1 or 2 on the shifter will help, but still allow quite a bit of slip.

FWD fuse should be used with the spare tire, it is NOT sufficient for towing. Make sure there is not a fuse in there.

If there isn't a fuse, you'll probably need transfer clutches and/or a duty C solenoid. It's not a terrible job to replace them, and relatively common, so a moderately-sized or bigger Subaru dealer will probably have seen it before and be able to recommend a parts list.

• Like 1

I have good front hubs in Colorado.

Sometimes the axle CV joint fails internally so the axle shaft is turning but no power is being transmitted to the wheel.

Have someone put it in gear while you watch the axle from above and off to the side.

Is the axle turning?  If so it's most likely the outer CV Joint.

Get a Subaru axle.

Larry