Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3.0 H6 decent? also have HG issues?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Bushwick

Bushwick

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Ohio Akronish

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

Australians have rigid import laws (we do too to some degree; I've heard of cars that entered being crushed after the fact due to politics) but they are allowed to import a Japanese car cut in half i.e. both halves of the car, and it's fairly common for them, for example, to import complete Japanese-spec engines that typically were not offered there.

The Japanese can cut up a beater and probably make more off that than straight-up scrapping it. And we can probably thank Australia and most of Europe for encouraging the open trade. 

#27 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,783 posts
  • Texas

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

they aren't necessarily beaters...they have some stringent laws making it difficult to keep an older car, as well as some cultural reasons : they don't keep things for a long time, preferring to get/build new. Even housing there is like this (according a Freakonomics podcast I heard), they will buy a 'house', tear it down and build new on the lot, then never paint it or update it. They just keep it structurally sound and liveable, and the next buyer will tear it down and build new. I think even some of their 'ancient' temples get torn down and rebuilt precisely the same periodically.

#28 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 21,633 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

I imagine there's a certain amount of cultural impermanence when you live on an island that periodically gets proper wrecked by tsunami, hurricane, earthquake, nuclear meltdowns, and Godzilla..... though I'm not sure how much better a newer Subaru would fare compared to an 80's model against atomic death breath. Perhaps they sell NBC retrofit kits for JDM.....

GD

#29 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,783 posts
  • Texas

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

I imagine there's a certain amount of cultural impermanence when you live on an island that periodically gets proper wrecked by tsunami, hurricane, earthquake, nuclear meltdowns, and Godzilla..... though I'm not sure how much better a newer Subaru would fare compared to an 80's model against atomic death breath. Perhaps they sell NBC retrofit kits for JDM.....

GD

They did mention earthquakes. The building codes have been moving targets but seem to be about as comprehensive now as possible.

The country has 3 times the architects : general pop ratio as the US !

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 22 December 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#30 kennycoulter

kennycoulter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Toronto, Oh

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

Well, you geniuses strike again.

​I had already ordered my Japanese spec lower mile engine a few days ago..... I thought that my battery had died in the cold.... been trying to start my "new" Subaru, and it won't turn over.

​I checked the oil in the the daylight (finally), and got to see the chocolate milkshake, in addition to the radiator level way down.

​Good thing that I had already ordered the other engine, but My truck is currently blocked in.

I hope the swap goes smoothly.

#31 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

got to see the chocolate milkshake, in addition to the radiator level way down.

these engines don't start failing that way - ever. so you can almost guarantee the engine was run hot significantly, or for a long time with a failed gasket, or less likely - it's been previously (poorly) replaced.

that's what i was eluding too earlier when i said this current engine is likely suspect.  i wouldn't have even considered repairing it, because it was highly unlikely to be a good engine, you're "fortunate" to see rare physical evidence of it.  and you've already got the engine on the way, good luck dropping it in. 

swapping an engine in that 2003 is not significantly different from any other Subaru engine swaps.

if you're the preventative type you can do the plugs and VCG's now while it's easy with the engine out and be done with it for 100,000 miles.   the H6 plugs are robust and don't even show wear after 100,000 miles so they're not a huge concern but they should be replaced once in the life of a vehicle.

do the serpentine pulley bearings now - keep in mind those are 60,000 mile replacement items due to their high failure rates on H6 engines.  they're super easy to do though - remove the two pulleys and tap out and back in new bearings.  standard bearings and they tap out really easy. i get japanese quality stuff off amazon, they're widely available and local stores will have them too.  replace them again in 60k or remove and check at least.  they fail at wildly varying mileages, so there's really no good mileage or reason to "60,000" miles but it's early enough to catch most failures.  you should just have some consistent mileage in mind.

i've even bought JDM engines that had failed bearings in them - i assume they had to be junked for that reason.

wa 

compared to what you current have - an engine that's nearly guaranteed to have been run hot and with extant headgasket issues,

#32 Bushwick

Bushwick

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Ohio Akronish

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

And while you are at, replace the thermostat for the new engine AND thoroughly inspect the radiator for core blockage, as well as verify the fan(s) work correctly. Those are all things that can cause overheating on a healthy motor if neglected.

#33 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,668 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

thoroughly inspect the radiator for core blockage,.

oh yeah - that plastic has likely been overheated and fatigued, and the coolant boiled, ran with high water content - probably desperately using tap water which leaves deposits inside the cores....not a bad idea at all to even consider replacing a radiator if there's additional signs of significant overheating. 

#34 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:55 AM

Not strictly relevant to the OP's question, but to clear up some half-truths in this thread. The JDM engines are indeed imported into Australia (and other countries), but half-cuts refers to the front end (engine in engine bay, transmission, wiring, most of front end (especially for FWD cars) being imported for conversions - it would be very uncommon for an importer to bring in both the front and the back of a Japanese car to Australia). We do have some specific (and inane) laws on what can be imported, but it is far more lax than the US (ie. we have pretty much free rein on anything older than 1990, regardless of RHD or LHD, so I can import an oddball 1989 Toyota Crown but not a 1991 Toyota Crown - our idiot government are meant to be reviewing this cutoff year as it has been 1989 for about 10 years now).

The Japanese market for older cars is driven by annual registration testing. As few Japanese have access to their own garage to do their own maintenance, the prices mechanics charge can be outrageous which drives the cost of meeting the annual test up - so they sell after 3-5 years when the car starts to need significant work (such as HG's, etc). Between about 1990 and 2012 New Zealand used to take a LOT of these Japanese cars, but their rules changed (due to emissions concerns)  (prior to ~1990 the average age of a NZ vehicle was one of the oldest in Western countries, and in fact is still right up there). When NZ changed the rules, there were lots of scrap Japanese cars with no homes so the Japanese started exporting half cuts (or just engines) with greater effort to Canada, Australia, and to a lesser degree the USA. As the age of the cars from Japan reaches a point where they all meet the NZ emissions standards introduced in 2012, the number of cars shipping to NZ will increase again.

(Now that AUS auto production has stopped (Toyota, GM and Ford all packed up in the past 15 months), the same laws should apply to AUS but unfortunately our government went on a tangent about allowing private importing of NEW cars (ie. we could avoid local distribution and buy direct from Japan or the UK, thus avoiding the mark-ups the distributors (in particular Porsche, and to a lesser degree the rest of the German automakers)), but this was quashed by the usual bribery associated with scumbag politicians and big business collusion, and the used car option disappeared without a trace).

#35 kennycoulter

kennycoulter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Toronto, Oh

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

I had good news despite the actual immobile cool vehicle blocking my truck in my driveway.....

​Back on Dec. 23rd, I ordered the Mahle HS54486 Head Gasket Kit.   (even though it is now seeming like the rebuild might be a little much)

​I have never seen the certain symbol on any parts before......I changed out the hatch door handle on my mom's '99 wagon.   Today, I see the same symbol.

​Apparently Mahle like some other kits, include Subaru gaskets in their kits.

​Right side: 511007701  plus the symbol is shown.

Left side: 508008001 plus the symbol is shown.

My only gripe would be that the valve cover gaskets seem sort of rigid to me, but I don't know if that is what the engine requires.

Edited by kennycoulter, 31 December 2017 - 10:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users