Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Continuing idle issues with 1995 EJ22 engine (1997 Legacy GT)

I'm still chasing around the idle idle issues on the '95 EJ22 that is sitting in my '97 LGT. 

Ran fine previously, installed a '95 air tube (for improved airflow over the '97 resonator) and noticed the weird noise coming from the air tube along with slightly erratic idle. I figured I messed up a vacuum line connection somewhere, so I double checked the connections on my '98 wagon (where I also installed a '95 air tube) and everything was connected tight and correctly. I also replaced the original air tube and it still had the same symptoms).

I then pulled a P0505 code and the engine ran rough, like the ECU put it in limp mode. Cleared it and didn't come back for a while.

I also installed new spark plugs (gapped around .43), new NGK wires and did the MSD coil mod, but no change. I also replaced the PCV valve.

Now it's getting P0505 most anytime the car is started. The idle actually doesn't get any rough but a lot more erratic. I'll clear the code and it will smooth out somewhat, but idle still fluctuates, especially when in park.

Does this sound like I just need to remove and clean the IACV? Maybe an electrical problem? I've also checked for any loose or broken vacuum lines and replaced a couple of dried out lines.

I hate to take it to the mechanic, but can't really drive it when it's acting like this, so I'd love to fix it myself.

I did another video of the noise it's making plus the erratic idle for your listening pleasure :

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0505

That code points at the IAC. You can remove it, and see if it's dirty, clogged, gunked up. Can also double-check the connector is tight. With engine running, try wiggling it's connector, as well as the harness for it. If engine straightens out, find the loose connector or possibly wire break, including chaffed wiring. Could have a gasket leak at the sensor, bolts are loose for it, etc. 

If you replace, be sure to get a new gasket for it.

Edited by Bushwick
  • Like 1

I think that you are very fortunate to get a code.  You should pursue the actions recommended by Bushwick.  I've never had a fluctuating idle with any of my 2.2's so I can't really help.  However on my 2002 2.5, I've had it, and it is very very difficult to correct without a code.  In that case, I eliminated 95% of it by replacing the knock sensor with new OEM.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, It was totally a bad IACV. I put a used replacement on and everything returned to normal. The idle seems a little rougher in gear, but nothing terrible and idle speeds are normal with no fluctuation. The noise in the intake is gone as well.