Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback Wagon-Engine Trouble-Engine Noise

Good Evening,

I just joined the forum, thank you for having me.

I loaned my 2003 Outback to a friend in need recently.  While he was driving on an exit ramp off the turnpike it broke down.  No warning lights came on before or during the break down.  He could not get it to start back up. Also, he says the dipstick was dry when he checked the oil after the fact.  He put more oil in and towed it back to my place.

Once I got it back to my block, I was able to get it started.  However, it is making a very loud clacking sound once it starts. The engine seems to be running normal with the exception of this sound.  The sound kicks in several seconds after the engine turns over.  I took a video but am having trouble attaching.   A  friend with some mechanical experience thought it might be valve related after hearing it. Any thoughts or suggestions before I take it in.  I don't have a trusted subaru mechanic in New York, my guy is in Virginia and before I tow it there myself I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ryco,

Any time there are loud engine noises after a "no oil on the dipstick" circumstance ... it usually means major engine work (read lots of dollars), or an engine replacement (whichever is cheaper).

Should the diagnosis point to an engine replacement, be aware that in major cities there are salvage companies that import low mileage (usually around 35 000 miles) engines from Japan for reasonable money.

These JDM  (Japanese Domestic Market) engines are removed from cars in Japan when they are three years old and shipped world wide. Japan taxes cars more than 3 years old so highly that many people junk the cars and buy new ones. The engines, trannies and front body parts are salvaged for overseas markets.

Many of these companies also install these engines into your car in very quick order, as they are set up for the job, and because they do so many of them.

You may have one of these suppliers close to where you live. Here's one I found:           https://jdmenginezone.com/     

Good Luck! 

I have installed numerous jdm engines since the 1990's .Most were in subi's,  they are fine engines for what you are buying.....( nothing beats a real rebuild) In over 25 years I had one  engine (a toyota)  go bad ... About 3 weeks and it threw a rod.... replacement by jdm company was swift with no questions asked.  That block and head are still sitting in the engine shed,  the head is actually still good.

• Like 1