Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking of trading in my 2011 Impreza hatch for a new Outback.  I really, really hate the CVT, always bucking and shifting

when in traffic btwn 35 and 40 mph, and I don't want a manual.  Have the newer models got a better tranny?  Does anyone else have the same prob?  I've looked at VW, Acura, and Nissan but I'm told the AWD is not as good (only kicking in at 30 mph(?)) though I do like the interiors better.  Subaru interiors are sort of meh.  Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by bucking and shifting at 30-40 mph.

Having no gears the cvt should never buck nor "shift"

I've driven multiple 2011 outbacks/legacy and never had those issues.

As for your question. There is a Gen 1 and Gen 2 of the cvt. And the new cars definitely have the Gen 2. As for how it's improved over Gen 1.im not really sure.

Yea, I'm a bit unclear on the complaint. Especially since the Imprezas didn't get the CVT until 2012, your 2011 has a conventional automatic.

A new Outback is only available with a CVT, no manual or conventional auto since 2014. It is a second revision of the CVT that gets fewer complaints than the older ones.

That said, I drive my mom's 2012 Impreza Premium (CVT with paddle shifters) all the time and I like it, it's different, but does exactly what it was designed to do, and I've never experienced anything that I would call bucking or shifting as long as I was being consistent with the throttle.

maybe bucking is the wrong word.  While in traffic going a steady 35-40 mph, it feels like it shifts up and down constantly, I have to slap the stick over and put it into third gear to even it out.  I have a pretty steady, if heavy, foot on the pedal.  the dealer sort of blew me off on this when I first got it and I've been dealing with it ever since.

try a reset - neg cable off the battery, press the brake pedal to drain any residual voltage, maybe wait 10 minutes to be certain, reconnect.

car may start run oddly at first, but see if the problem with the trans is better.

Our 4EAT will do some very odd downshifting/slamming at high speeds when passing unless I clear the tcu before a road trip.

how old is the trans fluid?