Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 2 Subaru

PMA

I just bought my first Subaru.  It is a 1992 Loyale with 148K on her.  I want to use her as a daily work vehicle. I can't explain it but I like the way the SW looks.  It had some electrical issues with the head and tail lights but a bad ground repair fixed that.  It runs good but the check engine light comes on when the engine warms up.  Can anyone lead me to a sight that can tell me how to check and read codes?

Under the steering wheel take off the lower panel and to the left is the on-board diagnostics red light beeping at you here'sthe codes????

Yep any all of these apply to the Loyale as well. 1988-94 SPFI EA82s are all the same

-- 1988 and Later Models With Single-Point Fuel Injection --

CODE PROBABLE CAUSE

11 Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit

12 Starter Switch or Circuit

13 Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit

14 Fuel Injector - Abnormal Output

21 Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit

23 Air Flow Meter or Circuit

24 Air Control Valve or Circuit

31 Throttle Sensor or Circuit

32 Oxygen Sensor or Circuit

33 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) or Circuit

34 EGR Solenoid or Circuit

35 Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit

42 Idle Switch or Circuit

45 Kick-Down (Detent) Relay or Circuit

51 Neutral Switch Continuously in the On Position

55 EGR Temperature Sensor or Circuit

61 Parking Switch or Circuit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help Guys. It ended up being the oxygen sensor.  Now I have another problem.  It snowed and the roads got icy. I took the Loyale out for a spin and she was all over the road.  I got her up on a lift and it looks like the bushing at the top of the rear differential is falling apart. I looked on line and called Subaru. The bushing is not available any more. Does any body know where I could find some vintage parts? :huh: 

You need 4 all season tires with similar mileage = decent tread on them.   They don't have to be as exact as for AWD, but if you end up with 2 pairs that are very different OD, the handling can be weird in 4WD.

That bushing probably had nothing to do with being all over the road. 

Probably have to find a used one, look for a mod shop that has something close / modifiable to fit.

If the alternator is original, it will need a new brush soon.

Also, 4WD on tight corners = spin out.  The back wheels are forced to go as fast as the fronts, and they actually trace a track that is tighter than the fronts, so they should be going slower.  This will cause you to spin out, if you are not aware of the possibility. 

• Like 1