Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 Subaru GL EJ205 swap

Faraim9117

Good evening!

I've been lurking around this forum for a while, but thought maybe some people who find my new project interesting and informative. I am currently putting a EJ205 into a 1982 Subaru GL. My plan is to also run a EJ transmission, with a 5 lug conversion with rear park and disc brakes. Other than that I just plan on keeping the rest of the vehicle stock.

I've already converted a 2000 outback to a turbo EJ205 running carberry (400 whp) and thought I would take what I have learned (it also has a dual range EJ with 1.59 gears and 2 inch lift) and stuff it all in into a classic cyclop.

If anyone is interested, I could post pics and other documentation from this build or my previous build, though most of what I've done comes directly from here, NASIOC or the Australian Subaru forum. I do have however a lot of electric schematics I have modified to simplify the wiring harness for an EJ205 (and the inputs for carberry) if anybody wants them.

Really the main reason I am posting here is to try to give back the Subaru community. Without these forums, none of my builds would of been successful. There is so much knowledge on these sites and i want to thank everyone for their help.

Gilles

I was able to shoe horn the engine into the car yesterday, but the timing covers rub the frame rails. Nothing an angle grinder and welder can't fix!

This is common knowledge.  Do some research as to how people go about this mod - it can be done to look very factory ;) 

Or drop the SOHC EJ22T in for no chassis mods.

Cheers

Bennie