Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 dates, what is Phase I vs. II?

Hi,

My understanding so far is that the EJ25 engine from '96 through '99 has problems. It is a DOHC design.

From 2000 onwards, the EJ25 became a SOHC design and uses a metal head gasket, plus a conditioner in the coolant to inhibit corrosion. These engines don't have the HG problem.

What then, is a Phase I versus a Phase II? Is the SOHC the Phase II? Also, is it obvious by looking at the engine that there's only one camshaft on each bank? I assume it is.

Lastly, what is the date from which the SOHC engine appeared in the Legacy Outback?

Thanks for your input,

Adnan

We really need a 'sticky' or some sort of reference post for this question...

Ok... North America, 2.5L H4 engine. The DOHC Phase I was used in the late 90's Imprezas until 98 and in the Legacys until 99. (Why? The Imprezas come from Japan and they got the updated engine one year sooner. The Legacies are made in the States.) Therefore... 99 and newer Imprezas along with 2000 and newer Legacys will have the Phase II engine.

It's quite easy to tell by looking, if you have seen them both. Look at the timing belt covers. You will see the evidence of 1 or 2 camshafts per side.

The Phase II engine does have some headgasket issues in the form of external leaks. Subaru's response has been the anti-freeze conditioner or additive, whatever you want to call it. I don't really know if they have it under control now (say, 2004, 2005 models). Only time will truly tell.

Subaru continues to bury their head in the sand regarding the headgasket problems with the Phase I engine. It suffers from internal leaks typically. Given that these engines are about 5 years old as a minimum now, I don't see Subaru ever doing anything about it (acknowledgementwise anyway).

There are other differences in the engines, but it really was an evolution, with the most notable change being the move from DOHC to SOHC.

Commuter

Dealer.

As a note, its not common to find the phase 1/DOHC EJ25's that has a problem. My dad's outback, 1996, with the Phase 1 DOHC engine has surpassed 180,000+ miles, NO leaks, and never had any Head gasket issues. The engine has only been open for T-belt and maybe some seals for the cams and front main.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed information. Our '96 then, had the Phase I DOHC EJ25 but it never had head gasket problems. I fixed the crank oil seal leak as well as both valve cover gaskets and then, not a drop of anything on the garage floor.

Sounds like the defining difference is the SOHC configuration, a question easily asked over the phone of any average owner, if told what to look for.

It appears that the 2000's had front brake problems but other than that (since brakes are easy and inexpensive to replace) it seems to be the model of choice.

Again, thanks.

Adnan

• 7 months later...
would a '96 legacy GT 2.5l be SOHC or DOHC phase I ?
I'm going to sound like a prick, but I can't believe that you read all the posts before this and still asked this question. Did you even bother to look at your engine?? Why don't you re-read the posts again, then go outside and look at your engine, if you still have the same question, go buy a Honda.