Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 camshaft position

I'm putting in a used engine, its timing belts were off and I'm unsure of the camshaft position on the #2,4 cylinder side. Sure of the #1,3 position with tdc on 1 corresponding to 0 on the flywheel. Anyone know of problems in rotating and finding the proper position for the #2,4 shaft? What would be the lobe/intake,exhaust positions?

there are several threads with step by step timing belt installation.

Roughly -

Rotate the crank so Piston #1 is at top dead center.  Use the center of the 3 ||| lines on the flywheel and the v on the bell housing for the precise position.  Do not use the 0 degree TDC / timing marks.

Rotate the cam shaft that drive the distributor so the small timing mark hole is aligned with the notch on the plastic back cover.

Install that belt, set the tensioner.  Torque is applied to the cam pulley during this.

Verify the marks are lined up.

Rotate the crankshaft 1 full turn by wrenching the bolt that holds the V belt pulley on the front.

Install the second timing belt, using the same crank position mark, and the similar mark on that cam and it's back cover.

Set the tensioner, check the alignment.

The following is my procedure to insure that the belts are at the proper tension after they walk into the paths they will run in.

Turn the crank by hand a few revolutions.  Re check the tension on the cams, while each is aligned at the ||| marks.

Run for 20-30 seconds.  No longer, as there is no coolant, or water pump turning.

Recheck again.

Reassemble.

I hate to correct such a knowledgeable and willing guy as DaveT, but aligning the 3 marks do not put the crank at TDC.  I believe the pistons are halfway up the bore?   In any case, follow his instructions, and all will be well. 

I hate to correct such a knowledgeable and willing guy as DaveT, but aligning the 3 marks do not put the crank at TDC.  I believe the pistons are halfway up the bore?   In any case, follow his instructions, and all will be well. 

this is correct. III marks are all pistons half way,

Thanks all, I know the timing belt installation set up, just am unsure of the position of the cam since it was moved out of position. Understood also that III is not tdc and great to know that all 4 pistons should be half way on III. I gather I'll need to confirm the position of the cam on #2 cyl on its tdc by pulling the plug and checking its position with the distributor.