Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ into EA81 - bonnet clearance, standard height

OK.

I read in places from time to time that an EA81 with an EJ conversion requires a lift or spacers of the engine cross member to clear the bonnet, I also read some of standard height do not have any height mods

I am so confused now

Who has an EJ in an EA81 with no spacers between engine cross member and chassis rails, no spacer at the back near the engine cross member?

Photos?

OK specifically an EJ22 from 95 era. It has quite a tall manifold. Or is there a lower profile inlet that fits an EJ22?

Edited by jono

Well, I'll be ! This info is appreciated as I still have the chance to walk away from the deal I have put a few hours into - literaly tearing the dash out, degreasing the filthy thing under the blazing hot summer sun. Only good thing was it is on a concrete driveway, not the usual dirt paddock with weeds n grass growing up through stuff, redbacks lurking and potential for eastern brown snakes

I was envisioning twin throttles made to fit the heads, twin mixers - hmmm, might still have to try that !

A write up by a guy i met, who had done some early conversion says need to raise front by an inch. Took it as gospel :(

it is by Tim 81 coupe on ausubaru.com

Thanks

I have pretty much zero know of ej other than a 16 i pulled to bits and chucked after abandoning idea of turboing it

how do i tell phases?

Edited by jono

You won't regret doing the ej swap. I did one on my 86 and she gets it now.

I went in knowing very little myself, i took my time over 8 months. Have a leisurely weekend drinking beer and trimming the wiring harness, took me about 8 hours total.

The ej drops right into the third gen GLs :-)

I have read in numbchuxs write up that you need stack another exhaust flange on some ea81s, maybe the exhaust fits if you lift the engine? I dunno...

Phase 1 is dual port exhaust

Phase 2 single port

90-96 are still pleniful, 95 and 96 have obd2. 96 is nicest because it's the only phase 1 with adjustable lifters instead of hlas

There are carb setups, i imagine a separate carb for each bank is possible.

Edited by sparkyboy

Sparkyboy - Jono is in Oz. We only get efi and dual port across all EJ engine phases. Any factory carb EJs are imports.

Jono the difference in phase one and two engines is that the phase one has hydraulic lifters and the phase two roller rocker style actuation. From phase two I believe all EJs are interference engines. All boosted EJs are considered interference due to the two cams that freewheel if the cam belt snaps, I've never heard of a properly maintained EJ snapping a cam belt. EA82s on the other hand...

EJ conversions work very well in EA vehicles when done properly. Key is getting the wiring cut down done right the first time ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah i never bothered to wire up my ce light or hook up my diagnostic port to the ecu. These engins are easy enough to figure out without diagnostics.

I thought the carby ej22 manifolds were aussie issue only! The only examples i have seen were there at least. Where the heck did sube send those? South America maybe? All I know about em is that people s**t themselves when one comes up for sale and they go for a mint. Hardcore off roaders love those, but I am more than happy with mpfi.

I don't understand why sube would send you guys phase 2 ej22s with dual port heads wtf?

I like your guys style in Oz.

We got WRX before you guys ever heard of them, but we got stiffed in the 70s and 80s and got povert pack stuff. Never seen of Mitsu Cordia AWD but heard they exist. Parts of Europe got AWD BMW 3 series, we got rear wheel only. New Zealand got some great grey imports, we could here too for a price

i now wish we got carbed EJ but not so ....although we did get Fiori with the 31 kW EN08 ( HP conversion not necessary - wont be much bigger number :)

Dont think many Fioris did big km for a few reasons. I owned a dizzy but swapped it without wisdom. It still had original Mitsubishi points in it.

You know, there must be a non english speaking country still too poor for internet and some guy tripping over a pile of low km EJ dizzys, carbs and manifolds

Edited by jono

I think a lot of the carb EJs went to Latin America and probably to the old European block countries. All of our EJs are injected including the EJ18 that came in some early front wheel drive imprezas. I don't think we got the ej16 here but have heard they exist.

Cheers

Bennie

A write up by a guy i met, who had done some early conversion says need to raise front by an inch. Took it as gospel :(

it is by Tim 81 coupe on ausubaru.com

Going back to the original question at hand. It's been bugging me... I'm 99% sure that Tim ran an EJ turbo conversion in his MY and this is the reason for the one inch spacer - you need this to allow the bonnet to clear the intake manifold which is different to the NA EJ.

Do some more research. I reckon you'll find that any EJ turbo conversion in a non lifted MY will have these spacer blocks on the engine crossmember. But NA EJ conversions will not have them.

Cheers

Bennie