Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purge solenoid vacuum diagram

I am starting a new thread in order to avoid being taken somewhere else and to focus on just this problem that I stupidly created myself.

A solenoid with the black connector.  I believe this is a Purge control solenoid. 

A tube that looks up is connected to the intake manifold vacuum + transmission.  Is this right? 

A tube that is pointing towards the front of the engine is where my problem lies.  I still have a small piece of vacuum hose attached to it but have on idea where it goes.  It looks like I have used all the vacuum lines and fittings that I saved when I took it apart.

Please help!

Sam

What sort of reply are you looking for?   This item is a common one to fail on the older Loyale's and is costly to replace on an ongoing basis.  There also is a slight problem with the "check engine" light that it triggers.  Most people dont have a problem just letting ti go, but if you want to fix it....there WAS a great thread here at one time or a link to it.  

Basically it was removing a purge solenoid sensor from other cars and cutting off the leads short on your dead sensor and joining them to the salvaged sensors from other cars.  I forgot and cannot find that thread any more.  I tried to google search it...perhaps someone will have better luck.

Edited by rapidfire10ring

This was the post I was trying to remember last night. I can look at one of mine and figure out what connects where.

I have a Web page with my solution to the dead solenoid problem. I replaced them with Toyota solenoids. I'm still running the same solenoids that I got used from a scrapyard in the late 80s.

Edited by DaveT

Thank you Dave!!!

I did not explain my problem clearly and therefor got no replies.  Try to do it one more time.

I am looking for the routing of the vacuum hoses because I did not get neither pictures nor notes when I took it apart.

On the diagram in the FSM the solenoid's tube that looks up is connected to the canister.  Did I understand it right?

Vacuum lines that go the automatic transmission are connected to the intake manifold and are connected to the solenoid's tube that is looking towards the front of the car.  Do I see it right?

I wish somebody could confirm it looking at the running vehicle.  A picture would be great to have too.

Please help,

Sam

This was the post I was trying to remember last night. I can look at one of mine and figure out what connects where.

I have a Web page with my solution to the dead solenoid problem. I replaced them with Toyota solenoids. I'm still running the same solenoids that I got used from a scrapyard in the late 80s.

Dave:  Which years of Toyota's did you pick from?  BTW, now we will have to have a diagram of where to find those purge solinoid sensors on the Toyota's too.  And once replaced, wht is the best way to reset the Loyale computer to clear the ck engine light? 

It never ends.

Edited by rapidfire10ring

I just sent myself am email to remind me of this thread tonight. I can post the link and a pic, etc. From home.

The Toyota solenoids are from the same years as the Subarus. They look different, that's why my Web page explains all that.

The CEL will go out on its own after a drive or 2. The FSM has the entire clear codes procedure. I would have to ook it up, it's weird.

Thank you Dave!!!

I did not explain my problem clearly and therefor got no replies.  Try to do it one more time.

I am looking for the routing of the vacuum hoses because I did not get neither pictures nor notes when I took it apart.

On the diagram in the FSM the solenoid's tube that looks up is connected to the canister.  Did I understand it right?

Vacuum lines that go the automatic transmission are connected to the intake manifold and are connected to the solenoid's tube that is looking towards the front of the car.  Do I see it right?

I wish somebody could confirm it looking at the running vehicle.  A picture would be great to have too.

Please help,

Sam

Use logic.

The solenoid port that is blocked when the solenoid is unpowered goes to the manifold and AT.

The solenoid port that is vented when the solenoid is unpowered goes to the puge valve on the cannister.