Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBW, heater fan motor control problem

maybe number 17 here;

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_45/climate/cooling_unit/illustration_1/

not sure if I have the right model, probably similar though.

Thanks Texan for the link. I am not sure what I am seeing on the link diagrams, but looks like it may be built into the dashboard HVAC unit. I happen to have a replacement unit handy, so may install that unit to see if it cures my problem. Thanx!

Thanks Texan for the link. I am not sure what I am seeing on the link diagrams, but looks like it may be built into the dashboard HVAC unit. I happen to have a replacement unit handy, so may install that unit to see if it cures my problem. Thanx!

I think that's behind the glove box - but toward the centerline of the car. Hopefully, someone else will respond. Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

what he said - should be #17, all the ones i've ever seen are accessed in the lower passengers footwell, other than a cover or something i think it's easily accessible. 

i feel like one model i've done i had to remove the blower motor to get to it.  other than XT6's i've only done like 1 of each model i've encountered so they all kind of run together.  but none have ever been hard or more than just cover or something to get to. 

Thanks guys for the advise. As I posted earlier, I have an HVAC unit that I can install. It appears looking through holes in the plastic housing, that there are copper windings attached to the fan speed rotary switch shaft. I can swap it in to see if it fixes the problems, if not then I search  behind the glove box - but toward the centerline of the car as advised. Thanx!

Thanks guys for the advise. As I posted earlier, I have an HVAC unit that I can install. It appears looking through holes in the plastic housing, that there are copper windings attached to the fan speed rotary switch shaft. I can swap it in to see if it fixes the problems, if not then I search  behind the glove box - but toward the centerline of the car as advised. Thanx!

The resistor block is in the Ducting, between the Blower and the Evap core. rectangular 4 pin plug.  IT's in the ducting to keep the resistor cool from air movement.

NOT in the switch.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the help, especially to Gloyale. Your description of "The resistor block is in the Ducting, between the Blower and the Evap core. rectangular 4 pin plug", was precisely the info I needed to find one in a wrecking yard. Otherwise, I would not really know exactly what I was looking for. Resistor unit I bought was from a 98 Impreza Outback Sport, but figure the resistor unit is interchangeable with a Legacy car. Now to install it.