Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 OBW, heater fan motor control problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

My heater fan motor will only operate on fastest speed. I think the problem must be in resistor cluster. Where is this located?? Is it built into the HVAC controls in dashboard??

Thanks for any help.

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,987 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

maybe number 17 here;

http://opposedforces...illustration_1/

not sure if I have the right model, probably similar though.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

maybe number 17 here;

http://opposedforces...illustration_1/

not sure if I have the right model, probably similar though.

Thanks Texan for the link. I am not sure what I am seeing on the link diagrams, but looks like it may be built into the dashboard HVAC unit. I happen to have a replacement unit handy, so may install that unit to see if it cures my problem. Thanx!

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,987 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Texan for the link. I am not sure what I am seeing on the link diagrams, but looks like it may be built into the dashboard HVAC unit. I happen to have a replacement unit handy, so may install that unit to see if it cures my problem. Thanx!

I think that's behind the glove box - but toward the centerline of the car. Hopefully, someone else will respond.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 18 January 2018 - 01:45 PM.

#5 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 24,107 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

what he said - should be #17, all the ones i've ever seen are accessed in the lower passengers footwell, other than a cover or something i think it's easily accessible. 

i feel like one model i've done i had to remove the blower motor to get to it.  other than XT6's i've only done like 1 of each model i've encountered so they all kind of run together.  but none have ever been hard or more than just cover or something to get to. 

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

Thanks guys for the advise. As I posted earlier, I have an HVAC unit that I can install. It appears looking through holes in the plastic housing, that there are copper windings attached to the fan speed rotary switch shaft. I can swap it in to see if it fixes the problems, if not then I search  behind the glove box - but toward the centerline of the car as advised. Thanx!

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,933 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

Thanks guys for the advise. As I posted earlier, I have an HVAC unit that I can install. It appears looking through holes in the plastic housing, that there are copper windings attached to the fan speed rotary switch shaft. I can swap it in to see if it fixes the problems, if not then I search  behind the glove box - but toward the centerline of the car as advised. Thanx!

The resistor block is in the Ducting, between the Blower and the Evap core. rectangular 4 pin plug.  IT's in the ducting to keep the resistor cool from air movement.

NOT in the switch.

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Thanks to all for the help, especially to Gloyale. Your description of "The resistor block is in the Ducting, between the Blower and the Evap core. rectangular 4 pin plug", was precisely the info I needed to find one in a wrecking yard. Otherwise, I would not really know exactly what I was looking for. Resistor unit I bought was from a 98 Impreza Outback Sport, but figure the resistor unit is interchangeable with a Legacy car. Now to install it.

#9 djmark7

djmark7

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • NW New Jersey

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

take out the glove box youll be looking right at it :)

#10 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,728 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

take out the glove box youll be looking right at it :)

Good idea..........when I pulled one from a yard, the glove box was already pulled, so made for an easy pull. I will do that later today, when it warms up a little outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users