Jump to content

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Salvage Title

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson


    Head Trauma, inc.

  • Members
  • 1,522 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:03 AM

I was wondering how to go about getting a title for an abandon vehicle. I know where one is at an apartment complex that the Manager said has been there for weeks and she said I could have at then kick the rest to the street and let the city deal with it. I don't feel like stripping a car that isn't mine and isn't postivly "Abandoned".

#2 rallyruss


    Subaru Master

  • Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:35 AM

here in CA it has to go to a JY to get a salvage title. mechanics can put a lein on a vehicle as well. dont know if your laws are similar

#3 Turbone


    The Original Rob

  • Moderator
  • 12,193 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:51 AM

If the car has been abandoned on her property, its her car. I'm not sure about the laws in Oregon, but thats the way it is in Wa. She may have to sign a release, or file for a salvage title. Best thing to do is go to the Motor Vehicle dept and ask.

#4 chef_tim


    Romans 5:8

  • Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:11 AM

SD is easy!!!! Go to the court house and get the paper for an abandoned car. Send the last known owner, to the last known address, thier paper work in a certified letter (most people put in a "towing and storage" bill too). 30 days later, you either have a pocket full of cash (towing & storage) or the title is yours. Tim

#5 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

    Elite Master of the Subaru

  • Gold Subscribers
  • 3,100 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, what Tim said. I used that process to get an RX2 in the same situation a few years ago in California.

Check with you local DMV first, they might have a printed list of forms and instructions.

#6 calebz


    Andys Coupe killed my cat

  • Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:38 AM

In WA, you don't actually get a salvage title. you go to the DOL as described above..get the paperwork, send it certified mail. If it comes back, you can then register the car, but you don't get a title until 2 years later (and when you do get one its a clean title, not salvage). And you never get money for towing and storage unless two things happen. A) you are a licensed impound/storage facility. B) A judge awards the money to you because you bitch and complain when the owner shows up to claim their car.. and even then most of th time you are SOL...

Again, this only applies to WA.. done it a couple of times... well.. more than a couple.

OTOH, I looked into doing the same thing here in TX.. hell no.. its just not worth it.. the amount of paperwork is huge and you have to post a bond on the car .. its just a crazy process here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users