Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Salvage Title

I was wondering how to go about getting a title for an abandon vehicle. I know where one is at an apartment complex that the Manager said has been there for weeks and she said I could have at then kick the rest to the street and let the city deal with it. I don't feel like stripping a car that isn't mine and isn't postivly "Abandoned".

If the car has been abandoned on her property, its her car. I'm not sure about the laws in Oregon, but thats the way it is in Wa. She may have to sign a release, or file for a salvage title. Best thing to do is go to the Motor Vehicle dept and ask.

SD is easy!!!! Go to the court house and get the paper for an abandoned car. Send the last known owner, to the last known address, thier paper work in a certified letter (most people put in a "towing and storage" bill too). 30 days later, you either have a pocket full of cash (towing & storage) or the title is yours. Tim

In WA, you don't actually get a salvage title. you go to the DOL as described above..get the paperwork, send it certified mail. If it comes back, you can then register the car, but you don't get a title until 2 years later (and when you do get one its a clean title, not salvage). And you never get money for towing and storage unless two things happen. A) you are a licensed impound/storage facility. B) A judge awards the money to you because you bitch and complain when the owner shows up to claim their car.. and even then most of th time you are SOL...

Again, this only applies to WA.. done it a couple of times... well.. more than a couple.

OTOH, I looked into doing the same thing here in TX.. hell no.. its just not worth it.. the amount of paperwork is huge and you have to post a bond on the car .. its just a crazy process here.