Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery "dieseling" cured with unlikely upgrade

The entire time I have owned my '82 wagon it would sometimes "diesel"  after I shut off the ignition, and nobody could ever figured out why it would happen. I recently replaced all of my bulbs with LED versions and the dieseling has stopped. One of the old bulbs had fused itself with the socket, not sure if that was the culprit or not but I am pleasantly surprised with the outcome. 

• Like 1

mine diesels for about 8 seconds after i turn the engine off, but it seems to only happen on really hot days in the summertime, but i think its probably because its alittle rich on fuel.

led light bulb fixing dieseling sure sounds strange though, i have no comments on that outcome, perhaps someone here knows a strange electronic anomaly connection with it?

although could i ask what bulbs you went with? i've been wanting to convert mine to led but theres so many out there today, i lost track of led brands in 2015, and autozone led bulbs are overpriced, but im just overwhelmed with all the different options when you go online that im not sure which ones are the bad/cheap ones, which ones are the good ones, and which ones are overpriced, especially since led prices have dropped so much recently, plus which ones have the correct resistance since i still have an analog flasher that would just stick on and never flash if i just slapped led's in there.

-did you also convert the sealed headlights to led? im still running on filament bulbs from the 70's and boy are they dim.

Edited by Subasaurus

WTF swap in dubious life span LED bulbs when some of us still have original Japanese made bulbs workling just fine after 30 years ??

Had LED burn out wholly and partially just in last few months where I dont have Japanese made bulbs :(

• Like 2

Subasaurus- I am still using sealed beams for headlights, although I put in some silverstars and they seem a bit brighter. The LED bulbs I bought were 90% Philips, mainly because they were on sale. I used Dorman for the blinkers as that's all I could find without spending too much for my budget. I also swapped my stock blinker relay for an adjustable electronic one that will work with LED bulbs, otherwise they would hyperflash so bad it looked like they were just on. The hazard lights relay works with the LED blinker bulbs just fine.

Jono- You are so passionate about incandescent bulbs! I choose to replace almost all the bulbs on the car with LED's, (save the super tiny ones on the instrument cluster that light up the door ajar, 4wd, etc.) because they are so much brighter than the stock ones, and draw a lot less power when on. I have a super big sub woofer speaker in the car and was experiencing light dimming power draw when the bass hit, now with the new bulbs that isn't happening. The shorter life span I can deal with, they are just bulbs. You are right though, a majority of the bulbs I pulled had kioto on them.

• Like 1

WTF swap in dubious life span LED bulbs when some of us still have original Japanese made bulbs workling just fine after 30 years ??

Had LED burn out wholly and partially just in last few months where I dont have Japanese made bulbs :(

Actually they just turned 40years old, halogen bulbs wern’t common in U.S vehicles till like around 1981, before then they were just under vacuum and yellow as hell.

they say Koito on all 4 of them, you can find them online for sale but they’re asking a ridiculous 60-80dollars a piece for crappy dim yellow original 70’s sealed beam headlights.

so that’s why i’ve been wanting to conserve these since all 4 are still working, and looking around for LED’s.

Edited by Subasaurus

Subasaurus- I am still using sealed beams for headlights, although I put in some silverstars and they seem a bit brighter. The LED bulbs I bought were 90% Philips, mainly because they were on sale. I used Dorman for the blinkers as that's all I could find without spending too much for my budget. I also swapped my stock blinker relay for an adjustable electronic one that will work with LED bulbs, otherwise they would hyperflash so bad it looked like they were just on. The hazard lights relay works with the LED blinker bulbs just fine.

Jono- You are so passionate about incandescent bulbs! I choose to replace almost all the bulbs on the car with LED's, (save the super tiny ones on the instrument cluster that light up the door ajar, 4wd, etc.) because they are so much brighter than the stock ones, and draw a lot less power when on. I have a super big sub woofer speaker in the car and was experiencing light dimming power draw when the bass hit, now with the new bulbs that isn't happening. The shorter life span I can deal with, they are just bulbs. You are right though, a majority of the bulbs I pulled had kioto on them.

Seems that the original bulbs last for decades while replaced ones last for about 2 years and LED ones range from 2months-10years, just some planned obsolescence going on, nothing to see, let’s just keep living our disposable lives, it’s not like there’s a 100+ year old light bulb still on at a fire station with a 24hour live webcam pointed at it.

• Like 1

To increase brightness with the factory lights on my brumby I've installed a new wiring system that improves the amount of voltage/current at the lights. It uses a set of relays that reference the original system to reduce the path the power has to take and do this with newer wiring.

The results are chalk and cheese in comparison. Well worth the $20 from China even though I had to swap some wires around so that all my high beam lights came on when they should (quad lights) rather than having the high beam only lights come on with the low beam at the switch. It was heaps cheaper than me buying all the parts and doing it myself.

I haven't tried LED headlights even though they're available as an aftermarket item. And I wouldn't touch HIDs with a 90 foot barge pole. Such a spoob light source that everybody raves about :/

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1