Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL wagon VS. 85 4WD Turbo RX

As some of you know I've been enjoying the company of both of these beautiful ladies .. But as it turns out the beautiful lady with whome I share a bed with is tired (for lack of a more harsh PG 13 term) of my attention being so divided . So one of them has to go.. I told her I'd miss her and requested she not be a stranger and to keep in touch, but that didn't go over so well ????. SO.. Be it as it may be I'll turn it over to you gents. I fully intend on stripping, as much as i can get away with, off of the unlucky runner up to my first choise. Or maybe someone on here has some trades in mind? I'd sell the poor old runner up or part her out but as I came upon both for practically nothing I have no problem letting one go for the same .

84 GL wagon: EA81. Hydro lifters (Also have another Ea81 on an engine stand with solid lifters .. Fully complete parts list for both I believe . Neither of the 2 distributors for them work. Pretty positive all it needs to come back to life is a new dizzy . Module crapped out . Just did the HGs and placed the freezplug that popped back into place .. Although there was a bunch of water in the oil pan when I drained it so idk if it came out again or wtf. Haven't looked into it . tad bit of rust on her rear fender but nothing major . FWD .5 spd. Also have what I believe to be 4WD transmission that came extra with it .

85 4WD TURBO RX. EA82T . Not getting fuel . fuel pump which is on a wire with 15a on it from the fuel pump to the battery +. Doesn't make noise doesn't push any fuel up front . Rewiring that as we speak and was thinking of throwing on a Fuel pump from a 90s Ford with like 80 psi that I had laying around (don't know if thats even possible or worth tring . The fuses all light up in the panel under the left of the steering wheel save for a 15 am marked for "Charging". Key on it lights up with a tear light to it with the fuse pulled but when i put any number of good 15 fuses in it it won't light up when proded with my test light . idk what that's about . . So that's where im at . Your opinions are appreciated and I really do thank all who's taken time to help me on the 2 separate threads regarding both of the cars and their issues . Cheers

• Like 1

Why part one out? Just sell the unlucky one

Whoever buys either car is certain to be a sube lover

How much would you take for the 84? It's odd, but 2wd seems to command a premium over the dual range, it must be a rarity thing.

Seriously man, there are girls out there who would support your hobby/passion/pasttime and even help you work on your cars.

My chick actually got me into subes, we did the ej swap on my 86, and I have three chevys and a bmw on top of that.

You only have two subarus or do you have other projects?

Has she at least acknowledged how cool your cars are?

This guy is looking for an fwd ea 81, although I think he wants a two door, but it's getting to the point where beggars can't be choosers with 80s subarus

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165772-reviving-an-old-friend/

Edited by sparkyboy

What a dilemma...

Glad it's not me (sorry). I'm one of those lucky ones, while she might not pitch in to work on them she's happy for me to go yarding etc to keep our small fleet going (or parts gathering for projects).

Of the two I'd go with whichever vehicle you enjoy looking at the most or that you like to work on the best. I've got my fleet but it's missing an RXII coupe - that never landed on our shores ;(

Cheers

Bennie

I'm interested in buying the RX. Do you have photos? What's the mileage on the car? Any rust?

I'm leaning more towards keeping the RX but just to keep all options open .. Only has 125 thousand miles on it and zero rust

Edited by Jaysus
  • Like 1

Lmao I was just making a joke about it being my Old lady who's making me get rid of one of them . In reality it's actually my boss/friend/landlord who's making me cut one from the team

Find a boss/friend/landlord that lets you have two or more cars. They can't dictate that to you over here!

Cheers

Bennie

Just,got the rx to start! Replaced the timing belts . doesn't wanna stay running,tho .. I have a timing light . Now I just gotta figure out how to use it and why all the water i out in it seems to be burning up hella quick . Like I can hear it sizzling I think . I'll go double check everything . I was super excited it started . Drove it up my 1/4 mile driveway and back ha . Doesn't feel like it's running at 100% at all . ,

Find a boss/friend/landlord that lets you have two or more cars. They can't dictate that to you over here!

Cheers

Bennie

+1

I almost made a sweet deal with this dude in boulder because he had one too many cars

This was the deal: to sell me his car for really cheap, like $800 or less

Then I would do an ej22 swap and get the body back to the factory paint (she looks black primered, but that is actually rhino liner lol)

Then later on, if he wanted to buy her back I would sell back to him for cheap, basically double what he paid.

He was in a position to take about $600 so if and when (Hopefully IF for me) it was time, $1200 is a nice deal for a swapped sube like that.

We rode to the parts store in my 86 and he was loving life, he wanted that engine in his car

We were going to trade straight up, he wanted to do it, but that rhino liner was a bit of a bummer.

Sadly for me, he found a place with room for all his cars. 

Anyway, maybe you can make a similar deal? That would be a great story to tell at car shows 

I'm a bit of a f**kin weirdo hippie kid and don't work a whole lot during the winter so you might have to find some fool on CL or something because a lot of the sube dudes I know don't visit this forum a whole lot...

post-61859-0-17810200-1516925271_thumb.jpg

post-61859-0-62012000-1516925313_thumb.jpg

post-61859-0-44129700-1516925359_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the RX by the way, I am trying to get an 88 rx from someone here but can't get a hold of him lol

EJ swap mode! I would be in subaru damn heaven if I had an rx 

I am super jealous of the guy doing the turbo LS swap into his rx

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165601-xtv8-build/?hl=swap

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

Just,got the rx to start! Replaced the timing belts . doesn't wanna stay running,tho .. I have a timing light . Now I just gotta figure out how to use it and why all the water i out in it seems to be burning up hella quick . Like I can hear it sizzling I think . I'll go double check everything . I was super excited it started . Drove it up my 1/4 mile driveway and back ha . Doesn't feel like it's running at 100% at all . ,

this happens to almost all the turbo EA82s

39202723274_72a1c76d7f.jpgCleanCrack2edit by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

thats why i said keep the 84

+1

I almost made a sweet deal with this dude in boulder because he had one too many cars

This was the deal: to sell me his car for really cheap, like $800 or less

Then I would do an ej22 swap and get the body back to the factory paint (she looks black primered, but that is actually rhino liner lol)

Then later on, if he wanted to buy her back I would sell back to him for cheap, basically double what he paid.

He was in a position to take about $600 so if and when (Hopefully IF for me) it was time, $1200 is a nice deal for a swapped sube like that.

We rode to the parts store in my 86 and he was loving life, he wanted that engine in his car

We were going to trade straight up, he wanted to do it, but that rhino liner was a bit of a bummer.

Sadly for me, he found a place with room for all his cars.

Anyway, maybe you can make a similar deal? That would be a great story to tell at car shows

I'm a bit of a f**kin weirdo hippie kid and don't work a whole lot during the winter so you might have to find some fool on CL or something because a lot of the sube dudes I know don't visit this forum a whole lot...

samsung spoob 336.jpg

samsung spoob 334.jpg

samsung spoob 333.jpg

Nice work on the RX by the way, I am trying to get an 88 rx from someone here but can't get a hold of him lol

EJ swap mode! I would be in subaru damn heaven if I had an rx

I am super jealous of the guy doing the turbo LS swap into his rx

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165601-xtv8-build/?hl=swap

I'll do that same deal!

Dans crack

If you have EA82 heads off and cleaned up can often see cracks between valves on combustion side, a little further cleaning of exhaust port with bead blasting can often see the crack further in. I have had heads pressure tested to ensure crack is not a problem. Subaru issued a buletin to say essentially "crack is OK" Some will fail vacuum test, many pass, if pass reuse or can get welded up. My welded heads lasted years untill I let them sit, now got a weep coming from exhaust pipe to heads exhaust gasket. Tested heads going in shortly

GO THE EA82 !!

What am I looking at? Lol

inside of exhaust port.

Almost all the turbo heads crack like this.  Doesn't cause running issues, because it's after the combustion chamber.  But you will lose coolant, not knowing where it went (out though the turbo lol) and then overheat.

This is the single biggest reason to avoid EA82T.  You can fix and tend to all the other issues, and this one will still bite you in the rump roast.  

If you want to keep that RX start saving for the EJ swap now.