Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery installed backwards now no power except door chime 01 Outback limited

So the new battery was installed backwards the first time and the horn and car alarm went off. When battery installed correctly, there is no only the door chimes. Not even a click when I try to turn it over.  I've check all the fuses (both in the box in the engine compartment and behind the coin catcher) and they are fine. The relays / Fuses with the viewable tops in the engine compartment box are good as well. Could it be one of the relays in the box or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks in advance.

Update: horn will still honk when using the factory key fob and doors will lock and unlock, but no lights on the instrument cluster.

Edited by 2manetoys

I just fixed this today due to the same problem.  I agree with Gloyale..............fuseable link.  It's in the engine bay fuse box.  It's basically a black wire that is connected to two spade connectors on the left.  I just took a 18 guage wire, I think, opened up the female connectors, and put them on the wire and crimped them.  Problem solved!!

I just fixed this today due to the same problem.  I agree with Gloyale..............fuseable link.  It's in the engine bay fuse box.  It's basically a black wire that is connected to two spade connectors on the left.  I just took a 18 guage wire, I think, opened up the female connectors, and put them on the wire and crimped them.  Problem solved!!

With your engine running and at temp, pop your cover and touch that 18 gauge wire to see how hot it is. It should be cool to the touch. If not, go to autozone and buy an actual fusible link wire, which will have a silicone cover. I had to do mine after the factory one corroded, and the inital guage was causing the entire wire to get too hot (think it was the black sleeve) while the next one up (grey sleeve IIRC) allowed it to remain cool.

• Like 1