Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air suspension system to use as air compressor to fill tires?

Why not buy one of those 12v inflators for $40 and/or carry a small tank? Avoid the ultra-cheap plastic ones. Pay a little more and get one with a metal housing. I'd recommend carrying a secondary hand psi gauge or upgrading to a better one as they can be off by nearly 10 psi. I've been using one of the metal cased units and it fits in the glove box. It'll do a completely deflated tire to 38 psi in about 6-7 minutes. 

One issue with onboard compressors is you'd need to find a away to air up the tire w/o the system trying to air up suspension.

I’m thinking he’s eliminating the air ride. I would hope so. We just did it and I was tempted to do the compressor thing but I don’t have time and it’s not a woods car.

Others have done it going back a good 15 years now. Do a search. You’ll probably find more info. Like our man said , a little compressor knowledge and some fittings , you could be king. Good luck.

What he said. It’s just fittings. install the right fittings in the air tank and you’re done.

They’re so antiquated with decades old orings and Parts, are slow and hard to find parts for, not adjustable in stock form, the compressors have 6 hard to mitigate leak/failure points. that time is probably better spent on a dedicated solution over a conversion. But I understand the novelty and pragmatism too...you have me revisiting the idea again for my xt6 air tank hahaa

Challenges like this one can be either side of the sword. Since it would be unreliable and sketchy spend that on beer and a good hand pump or better like a plug in sputter bug.

I have hand pumps like “that crazy old guy”. Which I may well be now.

To me , they can snicker. I’ve got what I need and the effort isn’t anywhere near what the snickerers think it is. Of course I’m talking the large T handle canister pumper , with gauge. Not some candy butt crap.

Edited by moosens

I think you'll find that unless you install a largish tank it won't really work as intended.

To do this you first need to work out if the pump is high volume low pressure or low volume high pressure. If high volume low pressure you'll be in business. If it's the other way around it'll take ages to replenish the tank after one or two tyres are filled.

Best to convert an AC pump for this job - or just go with an off the shelf electric pump hooked into a larger tank with a pressure switch and some neatly placed air fittings on the car for easy access ;)

Cheers

Bennie