Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL wagon 4wd turbo with high roof

I saw a GL wagon the other day turbo 4wd that had a roof line kickup at the rear door. Has anyone seen this type of model?

I had one, 89 5sp H/L. Gave it away when the timing belt broke because: pre internet. 

One of the many regrets of my life. 

Dan

I had one, 89 5sp H/L. Gave it away when the timing belt broke because: pre internet.

One of the many regrets of my life.

Dan

That’s funny only because it was a timing belt job on an old Loyale that got me on the USMB. I was fairly wizzed off and then driven to do my own repairs.

All GL / GF spec Leone EA82  wagons here in NZ had the touring wagon stepped roof

Also the EA82T turbo versions were of higher spec here and got the touring wagon roof also.

and also the later  ie 83/84 GL  spec EA81  4MT D/R had the touring wagon stepped roof as well.

My previous 86 GF Leone  EA82 5MT D/R wagon in 2009  - one of the best cars ever owned apart from the paint on it here - faded / wore  badly.

1934397_1030570381198_4050791_n.jpg?oh=8

With the introduction of 2nd hand JDM car imports from Japan in the 80s  there was a lot more variation of types.

The lower spec DL here had the flat roof  no tach  more basic seats (no rear head rests)  etc etc particularly after the introduction of the Legacy in 89  there were more DL's,  the Leone was rebranded then as  an Omega til 94 when the Impreza replaced it.

Edited by subnz

That’s funny only because it was a timing belt job on an old Loyale that got me on the USMB. I was fairly wizzed off and then driven to do my own repairs.

I joined USMB when my second timing belt was due at 120k miles. I had the first one done at the dealer and the quoted job at 4 hours and 800 dollars turned into all day and 1200 dollars. I figured I can screw things up cheaper than that and it is non interference so I get a do over if I mess it up. Miles Fox didnt have his video series out yet but did have a blog post with a list of steps. I just followed those and it worked. My father saw me doing this and was sure I was going to mess it up. I made him sit in the passenger seat on first crank. It started right up, i did a test drive and he never gave me any guff about working on engines again.

Edited by MR_Loyale

That’s a touring wagon.

Ain’t seen one up here these past few years.

There were 1500 of those in the States.

only 1500 of them in the states? wtf

so there was one at the junkyard here about 4 years ago, and theres one currently there right now with that higher roof line.. just went to the junkyard about a week ago.

so why exactly do they have the higher roof line? besides the extra inch of room you get inside, was it an option on all models? or only the top of the line and selecting that option? certain years only available for?

Edited by Subasaurus

The touring wagon came out in the EA81 and EA82 models.

The car in question is a GT version - turbo variant. This is where the 1500 release number in the states comes from. There will be loads more GL touring wagons kicking around in the states with the EA82 carb and MPFI variants if the engine options are anything like what ours were.

The high roof continued over here in all liberty wagons (up to Gen3 - I'm not 100% sure about Gen4 onwards), there were no flat roof units over here. Where as the states got the flat roof legacy with very few high roof units around. The legacy name was not allowed in Australia due to the returned solider's Legacy organisation/institution. So it's very easy to spot an imported legacy over here.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1