Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok...when I lay on the gas and dump the clutch the RPMs shoot up and the car starts to crawl then takes off...it dosn't slip really. My Outback and Legacy do this...and they both have newer clutchs and the Legacy always did it (even when new). Is there a way to tighten the clutch so it won't slip and just spin the tires? I'd rather buy new tires every 6 months than a new clutch.

Thanks.

Guest lothar34
Ok...when I lay on the gas and dump the clutch the RPMs shoot up and the car starts to crawl then takes off...it dosn't slip really. My Outback and Legacy do this...and they both have newer clutchs and the Legacy always did it (even when new). Is there a way to tighten the clutch so it won't slip and just spin the tires? I'd rather buy new tires every 6 months than a new clutch.

Thanks.

Probably not. It takes a lot more power to spin four wheels than two. I don't know about your car, but I can't spin the tires with mine unless the road is wet.

Your not spose to spin your tiers becasue it would put to much stress on the trannie. Subaru desinged the clutch to be the first thing that should let go first so you dont spend money buying a new trannie every time you drop the clutch. AWD puts a huge amount of extra stress on tranies, ecpecialy when lanching hard. You cant adjust your clutch to grab harder, unless its not properly set up already.