Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Climate and Head Gasket Failure?

I had an interesting thought today -- I wonder if CLIMATE has any bearing on the typical HG failure (probably concentrating on the 2.5L Phase I engine)?

It might be illuminating to see how many people with one or more HG cases, who drive reasonably, live in climate-extreme locations. Where winter temps are very low, for example, or summer very high. I'm talking about daily driving, not the occasional trip to desert or snow.

Are HG cases mostly in these locations? Would California and/or Gulf Coast cars show fewer cases? Anyone have any info form another source on this (the "guestbook" signups available on another site are not numerous enough to make a difference).

nah... it's not a climate thing

it's a design thing :)

i live in seattle... temps cannot get any more mild than Seattle...

and mine went at 56k

and i cannot tell you (numbers too many) how many repairs we've had on this item at the local dealerships...

nice theory tho :) but not applicable to this particular issue

Jamie

folks in very cold climates were having more leaks than mild climates.

This is really a sealer leak on these though. I think when the phase 2 gets very cold the metal shrinks more than the sealer can compensate for.

Mine would leak when very cold while visiting friends in snow country and be fine in mild San Mateo CA.

During the cold snap last winter a lot of Canadians reported phase 2 leaks.

Emily at CCR posted on here too (message disappeared -- wonder why? maybe I deleted it?) and noted that their shop has shipped replacement blocks and engines to almost all 50 states. So -- my theory may be shot down from that angle too.

And I was planning to get confirmation and then smugly feel that OUR 1998 OBW wouldn't be in any danger here in SF Bay Area climate. Agggggggghhhhh.

I don't want this expensive problem. I think we'll sell our clean wagon this fall after the first snow in the ski region. I'm convinced that the design flaws are real and that SOA will not - short of a court ruling -- take up the slack on a fix. Avid mountain people needing AWD might be willing to take the chance.

Emily at CCR posted on here too (message disappeared -- wonder why? maybe I deleted it?) and noted that their shop has shipped replacement blocks and engines to almost all 50 states. So -- my theory may be shot down from that angle too.

And I was planning to get confirmation and then smugly feel that OUR 1998 OBW wouldn't be in any danger here in SF Bay Area climate. Agggggggghhhhh.

I don't want this expensive problem. I think we'll sell our clean wagon this fall after the first snow in the ski region. I'm convinced that the design flaws are real and that SOA will not - short of a court ruling -- take up the slack on a fix. Avid mountain people needing AWD might be willing to take the chance.

Great - how much? Resale values must really be tanking with this problem!

Me - '97 OBW - 140K mi - no headgasket problem

Julie - 97 OBW - 192K mi - no headgasket problem

Andy - 98 OBW - head gaskets and seals replaced at 165K

Kathy - 97 OBW - 97K - no headgasket problem

Scott - 98 OBW - 104K - no headgasket problem

Chris - 98 OBW - 57K - no headgasket problem

Keith - 96 OBW - 142K - no headgasket problem

Ross - 99 OBW - 98K - no headgasket problem

Sorry, no giveaway here!

With the new model price increases and the fever that hits people when the snow flies (and of course our lovely local gas prices) -- I think we can do just fine, thanks. For a spotless 98 MT with only 72000 on it.

And a new clutch (already).

And new cam seals and front and rear main seals, timing belt, etc. (already).

Ranger83, with that stable of machinery, you can simply switch parts from one to another as you have to - LOL.