Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Climate and Head Gasket Failure?

I had an interesting thought today -- I wonder if CLIMATE has any bearing on the typical HG failure (probably concentrating on the 2.5L Phase I engine)?

It might be illuminating to see how many people with one or more HG cases, who drive reasonably, live in climate-extreme locations. Where winter temps are very low, for example, or summer very high. I'm talking about daily driving, not the occasional trip to desert or snow.

Are HG cases mostly in these locations? Would California and/or Gulf Coast cars show fewer cases than upstate NY or Arizona? Anyone have any info from another source on this (the "guestbook" signups available on another site are not numerous enough to make a difference).

I had an interesting thought today -- I wonder if CLIMATE has any bearing on the typical HG failure (probably concentrating on the 2.5L Phase I engine)?

It might be illuminating to see how many people with one or more HG cases, who drive reasonably, live in climate-extreme locations. Where winter temps are very low, for example, or summer very high. I'm talking about daily driving, not the occasional trip to desert or snow.

Are HG cases mostly in these locations? Would California and/or Gulf Coast cars show fewer cases than upstate NY or Arizona? Anyone have any info from another source on this (the "guestbook" signups available on another site are not numerous enough to make a difference).

Looking at all the places we've been shipping EJ25 DOHC engines, climate has absolutely no bearing on it at all. Our engines have been going to the four corners of the USA for over 2 years now (or is it 3? :-\ ) I've lost count.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Ah --- you must be Emily the engine lady, I have read about you. Well, I accept your evidence as the answer, since I am sure I can get nothing of value from Subaru - LOL.

Wish I could add to your new engine figures the number of headgaskets used up from Subaru OEM stock since 1998.

And no, I am not a lawyer working towards a class action suit!

Just a disappointed first time Soob owner thinking about changing.

Thanks Emily, for the note.

Lloyd, I was asking myself the same question.

I have the 2.2L and have not had any engine problem after more than 200,000 kilometers. But I live in climate extremes (-30C° to +35C°) and have seen small coolant leaks, during the coldest winter days, at the gasket where the heater return hose connects to the engine, but only then. I was wondering what those same causes were doing to my head gaskets.

If climate can be a factor, I suspect that cold temperature would be the worse condition. (1) When it's -30C° here, the engine goes from that temp to +100 C°. That's a huge temperature differential and it's certainly hard on all engine parts including gaskets. (2) In hotter climate, the differential between «cold» engine temp and hot engine temp is smaller. It's amazing that engine parts can witstand such expansions and contractions day in and day out and still work flawlessly after so many years and kilometers. Hats off to the engineers!