Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rinse off underside of wrx, Yellow fluid coming off Turbo pipe

Hey all,

Car is a 2016 wrx

Very odd thing happened today. As I was hosing down the underside of my wrx in prep for the winter fluid film application, I noticed a heavy yellowish fluid as I sprayed the turbo. The fluid was coming out of the heat shield below the turbo pipe and I can only assume that it was antifreeze or some type of oil (perhaps something from the factory to prevent rust) as it was seemingly thicker than water? I assume it was just draining down from above

Hard to describe and caught me completely off gaurd..

Any thoughts? 

Edited by vtwinjunkie

95% sure it from water getting behind heatshields that are slightly rusty and the rust is discoloring the water.

I've seen it before on random parts of exhaust where it look spike the exhaust is leaking gear oil (in color)

I get what your saying but the water was legitimately yellow. Like Urine color yellow or yellow coolant color. And it was thicker than the water.... you could see the water around it not mixing. 

Although there is no way to know for sure, I just dont think that was it. 

Edited by vtwinjunkie

It's possible its a leak. But around the turbo is oil and coolant.

Oil is obviously yellowish (when brand new) and the coolant is blue.

I cant say if what I'm talking about doesn't "mix" with water. But I do know that last time I saw it, it was really deceiving.

Edited by golucky66