Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Impreza Outback Sport bogs down after giving more than half throttle

Hey guys running out of options here, I have a 1999 Impreza outback sport. 301,000 miles. 2.2l engine. 5 speed Manual. my cats were clogged due to a misfire so I knocked the filters out and put the pipes back on. my car currently has a problem where it will almost sound like its spitting If I give more than half throttle. its been doing this since before the cats were knocked out. I just replaced the throttle body position sensor due to a diagnostic that stated it was running at low efficiency, still nothing changed. I replaced the fuel filter in march of 2017 along with injector number three.(hence the misfire I had) car has California emissions. only code is an 02 sensor code since I knocked the cats out. any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by CrazyCollege

Was the tps used or new?

Check TPS installation and alignment. Some have a specific procedure to align them properly. It’s simole but checking is a good idea.

Keep checking your codes to see if any pop up.

Post the oxygen sensor code you’re getting.

Check timing belt alignment marks and tensioner though that should result in noise.

Knock sensors most common sensor failure on that engine. $8 ebay specials work great. Should give a check engine light but I’ve seen stranger things.

Coolant temp sensor - the one for the ECU.

Plugs, wires should be NGK and quality and have less than 300,000 miles on them.

Check condition of plugs and see if one looks different than the others or they have oil on any of the plugs

valve clearance and compression or leak down test once you’re running out of options.

• Like 1