Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, new to Subarus in general, own a classic american speed shop specializing in big inch(>500c.i) stuff. Recently picked up a 2000 Legacy GT 2.5 n/a AWD as a flip, but my JDM crazy son convinced me to put a Chinese Ebay t3/t4 turbo kit on it. We did so on the completely stock set-up. Ran pretty hard to about 4500rpm @ 10lbs. then fuel starved. Put a set of 565cc pink top injectors on it and now it pulls hard through redline at 6200, but smokes like a Cummins at idle. What to do next?

Thanks, Alex

• Like 1

You need tuning, and that isnt going to happen on the stock ECU. 

What experience do you have with fuel injection and how comfortable are you with ugly wiring projects? This will largely dictate your options. 

You also really need to lower the compression.... Subaru engines dont handle detonation AT. ALL. The first time you run into any amount of detonation while tuning will result in squirting the rod bearings right out of it. The factory cast pistons are weak and you will shear off the ring landings if you push them. 

Ultimately - just figure on the learning process taking at least two to three engines before you figure it out. Everyone that gets into tuning Subarus wrecks about three engines give or take. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Welcome!

That sounds like fun, I have read about guys that slap a factory turbo on a naturally aspirated 2.2 and having good results with the factory ecu and about 8 psi.

I have also read that those chinese ebay turbos can be truly awful.

Your next step?

Sell that turd and get your kid a nova :-)

In all seriousness if he likes that car, take the turbo crap off and redo the head gasket and t belt and drive the piss out of her

ej205 swap if he is serious about having some good turbo action. I have seen some early 2000s wrx parts cars for 1500-2000 complete. I would imagine that you could find a rebuilt 2.0 for around that price, maybe even a jdm one but you need a jdm wiring harness as well if I am not mistaken.

That would be pretty sleeper

the 2.5 rs is pretty cool, the 90s ones were the coolest imho. I have seen some beautiful sti swaps for the 90s 2.5rs before we got the wrx.

I personally feel that 1999 was the last of the pretty Subarus, they got pretty ugly after that. Just my opinion.

I also love muscle cars, and Subes I did the ej22 swap on my 86 GL and trust me, I drive the absolute piss out of her these cars are fun as f**k in the snow

I also love e30 bmws

Happy wrenching!

post-61859-0-31369400-1516959161_thumb.jpg

post-61859-0-25736200-1516959673_thumb.jpg

post-61859-0-21056200-1516959739_thumb.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

Let's see some pics of your sons 2.5 rs!

Surely you got some cool muscle cars too?

Check out this nutty s**t I wish I could put an LS engine in my subaru

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165601-xtv8-build/?hl=swap

My 88 325ix with my 77 Camaro.

My Subaru is just as quick as my bmw in a straight line and sadly, my Camaro is the slowest of my three cars, she has the 250 ci inline six with the muncie 3 speed.

But at least she'll outhandle a damn lifted subaru station wagon, and holds her own with the bmw on twisty roads lol

How much would you charge to build a big block chevy if I supply the block? I have another bmw that I would trade for that :-) if you or someone you know happen to like the e34 body style

post-61859-0-15344400-1516960497_thumb.jpg

post-61859-0-85194900-1516961388_thumb.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

Tons of NA-T Subaru's running around on moderate boost with factory compression. ( 10 PSI is pushing it ) ECU's before 2003 don't fight it too much.. RS-25 and NASIOC are 2 good places to get info.. As for ECU tuning, Project Lambda tuning will tune the factory ECU if it is a JECS Ecu. Won't work for a Denso but that should be JECS anyway

Thanks guys for all the input, much appreciated . Not quite sure what I'm going to do at this point, maybe some 440cc injectors to see what that does. These are fun little cars, seem well built. I personally drive Mercedes and so does my son, but he likes anything with wheels. Sparkyboy, I've built BBC anywhere from a very mild 600HP 468 for about 6000.00, to a full roller, studded top and bottom 540 that does 825HP for about 17,000. How fast you want to go is directly proportional to how much $$$$$ you have :brow:

How fast you want to go is directly proportional to how much $$$$$ you have :brow:

You are preaching to the choir man...speed costs money, how fast do ya wanna go? That old quip has probably been around as long as cars!

Unfortunately my bmw is worth about half of your mild build so I guess I can put my 454 in my van...

I have stubbornly opposed doing an LS swap in my Camaro simply because of the unique factor of having the inline six...

If I were you guys I would sell the 2000 after putting the factory stuff back on, and try and find something a bit cooler to get your sons boost on with. 

Or drive her silly, you and your son will have fun screwing with these things. A couple of years ago I knew nothing about subarus or efi and just went all in with the ej swap and learned everything I needed to along the way

A 2000 rs would look pretty nice all slammed and you guys can have fun smashing hondas and nissans

I remember racing this old maxima with a v6 and five speed, those cars aren't exactly slow but I stayed ahead of him and he was like wtf?

Edited by sparkyboy

I retract my previous statements about the 2000 2.5rs being ugly

I thought you guys had this horrendous thing

post-61859-0-60163600-1517214683_thumb.jpgpost-61859-0-03511000-1517214937_thumb.jpg

And not this body style

post-61859-0-78520900-1517214908_thumb.jpg

That is one of the best body styles for an sti swap

The first gen legacy turbo would be my choice if I ever get a wrx or sti engine

post-61859-0-88474300-1517215576_thumb.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

Thanks Matt167, I'm just starting to bring in some of the aftermarket EFI stuff for big V8s, tuning factory stuff is new to us but I realize the need to aquire the tools for tuning. Any advice on best tuning suites?

Project Lambda is the only one that will work with your car.