Ultimate Subaru Message Board

socket size for an oil change on a 2018 Crosstrek drain plug

I recently bought a 2018 Crosstrek and wonder what size socket or wrench I will need to change the oil.  When I bought the car I asked a person at the dealership and the didn't seem positive and thought that it was either 14 or 15 mm.  That seemed small and I thought it would be around 17 mm.  I just wanted to be ready when I it was time to change the oil.

• Like 1

Thanks Fairtax4me, I guy I asked was near the Service Dept. so not any of the sales people, and I was on my way out after spending about 3 hours there.  Your right the service techs would know.  I just happened to ask the guy I saw around there as I was leaving.  By the way I see you have a 96 Legacy L sedan!  I had a 98 Legacy L wagon.  I bought it new and had it for 20 years,  I loved it that's why I kept it so long!  It was Spruce Pearl, I hated to say goodbye to it but I figured it was time to get something new.  I had put in the NGK Iridium plugs and NGK blue wires and I gained around 3 miles per gallon.  Can't swear it the car was faster or smoother or started faster. but did gain the extra mpg, which was the most important!  The car ran good before but was due for new plugs!  Advanced Auto was selling the copper ones for 3 something and the Iridium for 7 something but for me well worth it!  Thought I would share that info in case you are ready for new plugs for your 2.2!

• Like 1

Thanks Fairtax4me, I guy I asked was near the Service Dept. so not any of the sales people,

service dept support staff (the ones you run into while walking/sitting around) are salesmen/women. "Service Advisors" or "Service Managers" are salespeople. They "sell you services" and are trained in the arts, not sciences.

some service dept staff/managers are sharp and used to be mechanics - but that's not the current norm.

some service dept support staff aren't mechanically familiar. they can be really good dealers and staff, but the business/local/current/volume climate is such that they need people to fill that role of communicating, booking, navigating, and assisting customers in the service department.

but they should ask/check/google/say they don't know rather than guess.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:38 PM, dsenna1994 said:

I recently bought a 2018 Crosstrek and wonder what size socket or wrench I will need to change the oil.  When I bought the car I asked a person at the dealership and the didn't seem positive and thought that it was either 14 or 15 mm.  That seemed small and I thought it would be around 17 mm.  I just wanted to be ready when I it was time to change the oil.

Did you ever find correct socket size? Having the same issue. 14mm too big. 13 is too small.

18 minutes ago, McIntyrepm said:

Did you ever find correct socket size? Having the same issue. 14mm too big. 13 is too small.

it will be either a 14mm or a 17mm

Those are the only sizes Subaru has ever used.

It may have been messed up a bit by someone using a 9/16 or something and rounding an edge, making the 14mm seem big.  But that's what it will be.  Try getting a new, 6-point box end wrench or socket and try that.

• Like 1