Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Iam doing a timing belt on a 91 legacy becasue the crank seal started to leak. I first thought that i hadent done a timing belt on this car for around 100,000 miles so i was going to replace ever thing, water pump, carnk seal, timing belt, thermostat, ect. Now i rember that about 1 year ( 20,000 miles) ago my parants took it to have a idler pullie replaced and they changed ever thing. Do you think i should go along and change it all even tho it only has around 20,000 miles on every thing. Right now i am about to take off the crank bolt and have inspected the timing belt and i see no cracks at all. The cam seals dont seem to be leaking any oil at all either. I already have all the parts. Even if i end up changing most things shold i change the cam seal, there not leaking at all and getting the cam gear off is the biggest pain of all. What do you think?

Definatly replace that belt. It's really not that expensive for one and you already have it off.

The rest I say if it aint broke then don't fix it :) Might verify the pumps are indeed new. I know some shops say they 'do everything' and really just replace what was broken and charge for it all anyway. If everything looks new and not leaking I'd leave it be; 20,000 miles is not a lot of miles for pumps and seals.

Well it turnes out that my dad did intend for the timing and every thing else to be changed, but the guy wanted $400 just in parts for every thing, and sence the car only had about 30,000 on the timing belt job my dad said to leave it alone, and only do the idler pullie. I really dont mind to any part of the job, but the cam seal, do you think i could skip them sence there not leaking?

Well, if you DO change them, normal bad-luck says that you will scratch the shaft during dis-assembly and the new seal will leak soon after. Of course, the same bad-luck says that if you are smart and leave the seals alone, they will leak soon due to age....

You gotta ask yourself: Am I a lucky guy?

(I'm not, and I always replace everything and something that was in fine working order always gets busted!)

Put it all backa togher and the car runs good. The technique of taking the crank bolt off with the starter works extremly well when using that on the cam pullie bolt it took them off extermly well. This svaed me probley over 1 hour of time.