Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello all,

First off thanks to all who have helped me in the past you are great.

this time i just need some confirmation and help finding a part. When i get up to higher speeds, the steering column makes and odd sound. it sounds like a rattling and will go away after a few minutes..(that or i block it out) my friend and i believe it to be the speedometer cable (car has over 200,000 miles). Do you guys agree?

And if so, where in the world do i get one. it seems almost impossible to find one...let me know..thanks

God bless,

Cory Robinson

First off, you can probably fix the cable click, if that's what it is, by removing the cable from the back of the speedometer, pulling the inner cable out of its sheath, lubricating it with some white lithium grease, and reinstalling it. Secondly, don't discount that the noise you think is coming from the dash may actually be coming from the engine compartment. One of my cars is a 90 Nissan 300ZX. On ZX forums there are frequent complaints of a squeaking that comes from the dash. In almost every case the culprit is one or both of the rubber hood height adjusters at the front of the car, even though it sounds like the squeak is coming from inside the dash. Good luck!

Hey,

If your Impreza is like my 97 Legacy there is no speedo cable. At least I think so and here's why. When my alternator bit the big-one, one of the last clues was my dash gauges all died even the analog looking speedo and odometer. I drove for a few miles at zero mph and logged no miles.

I may be wrong about the cable but if there is a cable it is not a simple mechanical hook-up like the old days.

Good Luck & let us know what you find. Dash noises are so annoying.

~ Mark ~

• 2 weeks later...