Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'80 through '84 Easy Clutch Replacement

I see so many different opinions on how to change a clutch on '80-'84 Subies, but almost all involve pulling either the engine or the transaxle.  OK, it's been like what, 30 years since I last did one (I used to have a shop that did nothing but those years of Subies, mostly 4x4's), but we figured out a way to do the job in a few hours without pulling either the engine or transaxle.  Memory here might not have all the details, but here are the basics:

Pull the radiator and condenser, if applicable.  Disconnect all cables, wires, hoses etc. from the engine.

Remove the A/C condenser and lay it over onto wherever it will reach out of the way.  Same with P/S pump, as I recall.

Connect the engine to a hoist, disconnect the engine mounts and lift the engine just clear of them.

Pull the exhaust manifold bolts and the bolts connecting the engine to the bell housing, and then gently rock and pull forward until the two separate.

Now you can gently pull the engine forward and as I recall to one side with the clutch end facing the passenger side.  As you pull it forward, you'll find the few remaining things you didn't disconnect.

Once in there a bit sideways, you'll have unobstructed access to remove the pressure plate, etc.

I'm no doubt a bit fuzzy on some of the details, but it'll all become clear as you work through the project.  We told our local Subaru dealer about this process and he didn't believe it could be done until we demonstrated it for him.  They did them all like that from then on, no doubt passing the flat-rate saving onto their customers.  I mean, dealers do that sort of thing all the time, right?

I hope this help some of your folks lucky enough to have on of these terrific cars.  I would so love to have another '84 GL 4X4 wagon in mint condition!

BTW, this can also be done without an engine hoist.  We've done a few with a come-a-long hoist hanging from an A-frame beam.  You just roll the car back slightly instead of moving the hoist forward.  Also, this may very well work on many other years of Subies, I just know it works on these for sure.

• Like 1

If no hoist or A frame, three blokes can do the trick to pull the engine out no worries.

Seems like you’re 99% of the way to have the engine out so might as well go the whole hog in my opinion for easy access to other general maintenance areas such as rear main seal/oil pump and front crank seal etc.

I know as a “back yard mechanic” I like to pull the engine in the MY series and the gearbox in the EJ series for this job - it makes it easier as a one man show and I can check other things out in the process.

Each to their own at the end of the day ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Three guys ? You’re lucky. Two was all we had but the engines were lighter 1400 , 1600’s mostly.

We did 1800’s that way too.

Another wacky method is if you have some lengthy lumber. Lay your 2 x 6 or whatever over the roof with moving blanket(s) underneath. Hood off , chain it up and lift it out. One man - done it.

Ok , let’s hear some more. Knucklebusters we iz.