Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

* * * * - 1 votes

Forester headlight weirdness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Orrabein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

My wife has a 99 Forester with an odd headlight issue.  Sometimes the headlights work normally.  Sometimes they are very dim.  When that happens, the brights indicator is faintly lit.  Sometimes the headlights are out completely. When that happens, the brights indicator is lit normally.

I'm guessing that if it was a known/common problem, I would have found something without having to post this.  I'm also guessing that it's going to amount to tracking down a wiring short, which pretty much tosses me out of the mix.  Hope springs eternal though, so I figured I would ask.

#2 el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 768 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:41 PM

Try unplugging one headlight at a time when the issue is present. If things become brighter as they should be with one light unplugged, you know the issue is with this light.

From here, inspect the globe. If the filament/element looks dodgy, replace the globe and check for normal operation. If not globe, check the relay for that light in the fuse and relay box in the engine bay. If one is dodgy, replace it. To check, individually pull the relays and see if there is a change in the performance of the remaining light. From here I’m no use...

Other thing to check are your earth mount points on your wiring harness. Clean and replace any that look dodgy/crusty/rusty.

All the best, please report back if issue is resolved ;)

#3 forester2002s

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

+1 on this being a 'grounding' problem.

If one headlight filament doesn't have a good ground, it may try to find a ground through another route, possibly through another headlight.

Hence the 'dimming' and other 'weirdness'.

#4 montana tom

montana tom

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • trout creek montana

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

Had that very thing happen on a 02 obw just the other day.   Issue was a bad Ground... (sound familiar ? )  Headlights had been replaced with the china copys...   the low beam ground was bad..  Made all the issues you have happen. I replaced that entire headlight housing with a used one and the problem is gone.

Edited by montana tom, 06 February 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#5 matt167

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

Had same issue twice. Burned connector on a 2001 Forester. Replace connector with an auto parts store connector and all fine

#6 Orrabein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback and pointers. Will do some playing this weekend and see what I can find.

#7 Fairtax4me

• Members
  • 13,003 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

Could be a failing hi/lo switch. Definitely check connectors at the bulbs first. That's cheaper/easier than a dimmer switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users