Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil on top of motor

Hey Guys, I have oil on the top of the motor and not exactly sure where it would be coming from? The steering pump was leaking all over the place and I thought that was the only so I changed that out. Now that it no longer leaks I realize why the fluid didn't appear as red as I would expect. Some of it is oil. It's not a lot but would like to find the source and I am confused where it would come from. I can see it sort of near where behind where the steering pump is and sort of around the intake and seems to be mostly on the passenger side. Any ideas where I should start to look? Thanks.

It's probably a leak around the oil filter or pump.  The air blows it up into the engine compartment.  I had an oil filter leaking one time and had oil all over the engine compartment and even into the air filter.

Edited by Dee2

Clean it off and start with a clean surface to diagnose leak.

There’s nothing on the top of the engine that typically leaks engine oil. I had one years ago that I think leaked from an engine case bolt but I doubt that’s the case here. So it needs cleaned to narrow down the source.