Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement High beam bulbs, LED's. Any suggestions

headlights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walt294

Walt294

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

Does anyone have suggestions for brighter, replacement headlight bulbs.  LED, I guess.  Diode Dynamics  have a set of 2 for $150.  That seems high.  I tried looking around but don't know enough to make a choice.  It's sort of like reading a phone book with all the numbers.   Thanks

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

Temple of Fuji

• Members
  • 5,244 posts
  • Cascadia

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

If your vehicle was originally equipped with halogen bulbs your options are:

HIR bulbs

improved, independent wiring harness for the headlamps

HID or LED retrofit

DO NOT buy inexpensive HID or LED bulbs that have been re-based to fit a halogen lamp.  The lamp housings are not designed to reflect these bulbs properly and they will actually end up hurting your night vision, despite looking like an upgrade over the stock lamps (They're not an upgrade, PM me for details).

#3 golucky66

golucky66

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • Barkhamsted Connecticut

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Agreed with Carfreak here. I (stupidly) installed a set of LED conversion headlights in my 04' Baja. And while the looked super bright up close and near distance. Night vision was horrible.

And I spent 110$ of a set of bulbs. So not cheap.

The LED or HID retrofit is your only real option to drastically improve vision without adding more lights. 

#4 Walt294

Walt294

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

Looking into this, I found something curious.  The new XV headlights seem impossible to get to.  I have not found even 1 place that gives any information on installing or replacing the headlight bulbs.   The manual shows a different set up then mine and suggests they are difficult to replace and I should go to the dealers.  That is odd.  If you have a XV limited '18, take a look and let us know what you think.  So the manufacturer has turned a cheap replacement of a burned out bulb, into a very expensive dealer only repair. 

I was looking as another video that was supposed to be a '18 XV, but the set up was entirely different.   I have the limited, if that makes a difference.  I'll have to stop into the dealers and take a look.  Right now I'm thinking of removing the whole headlight assembly to get to the bulbs.

Edited by Walt294, 16 February 2018 - 11:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users