Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should i repair/save my flooded 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.

I am asking because a lot of family and friends are telling me to not,and that it's a lost cause,but i have my own reasons for wanting to.

I thought that asking 

My reasons are one i think it is fixable,also i could of fixed my first years ago,but i didn't and sold it to someone who crushed it...,i have regretted not just fixing it ever since,and am worried i am going to regret not at least trying...

Plus i really loved this car...

I have been asking on here and elsewhere and we think why it won't start is that the starter is bad.

Also once i get the engine to run i would then get all the fluids changed,and then start getting rid of the smell and mold...

If it helps here is a link to pics of the water line.

https://imgur.com/a/FapJc

So what do you guys think?

• Like 1

fixable.

Might need to replace the ECU (it's under the passenger side carpet)

Change all fluids

engine oil, differential and trans fluid, rear diff fluid, brake fluid, and expect to need to do wheel bearings.

other than that there is no reason to junk it if you can clean it to your satisfaction.

fixable.

Might need to replace the ECU (it's under the passenger side carpet)

Change all fluids

engine oil, differential and trans fluid, rear diff fluid, brake fluid, and expect to need to do wheel bearings.

other than that there is no reason to junk it if you can clean it to your satisfaction.

Thank you for being on my side.

I was thinking i might need to replace the ECU,but i am going to remove the starter tomorrow or Friday and try to take it to a parts store to test.

If it was bad i will replace it,if not i will replace the ECU.

I already checked the oil for signs of water and it was fine so i plan to leave it be just long enough to get the engine to start,once that happens i plan to replace all fluids even the oil,and mabye coolant.

I am expecting the wheel bearings,which kinda sucks because we replaced them just weeks before the car flooded...

I am hoping to document the rebuild via pics/text and also video when possible,but think i need a name for this project,any one got any idea's?

The water line is close to the ABS computer, that may or may not have gotten wet. It's under the passenger foot well A pillar trim near the water line. I agree the ECU is probably completely shot.

No need to pull the starter to test it, pull the spade connector off the starter and jump 12v to it. That'll activate the starter solenoid and crank the engine over. Make sure the battery isn't dead, obviously.

Pull the ECU and disconnect it, spray a liberal application of electronics cleaner in the plug to start washing the water out of it so it doesn't corrode (worse).

I'd pull out all the interior that got wet, seats, carpet, pillar trim, etc. The pillar trim has sound deadening behind it, same goes for the door cards. If you don't pull these things out and clean under them, you'll always have a smell. Once it's out, you can probably save it. Rent a pressure washer that can run soap and pressure washer the spoob out of everything, let it dry off and you should be fine.

Oh, you'll also want to replace your front speakers, they're made out of paper and totally ruined, good excuse for an upgrade!

You can definitely save this, it'll just take some time. I've sunk cars further than that in mud puddles being an idiot and they were fine after some drying out.

Edited by 987687

This is so simple I don't even know what there is to document, or why you'd bother, replace the ECU and any fuses that blew and you're done.

It's unlikely to be the starter - waste of time and money you could spend making progress.

I definitely would at least get it running and see where you're at. 

ECU - it was submerged if the other side was the same depth as the drivers side.

The ABS and air bag controllers are above that water line under the center console and above the pedal assembly, but even if they weren't those systems aren't necessary to get the car working and they're easily replaceable later. 

Get the car *running*

Then dry it all out really good

I wouldn't worry about wheel bearings either until they give symptoms, no big deal. 

The 05 impreza doesn't have immoblizer or chipped keys? 

There is still alot of important electronics that appear not to have been submerged and that is a good thing. Go for it.  I would replace ECU.  Link below on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-Subaru-Impreza-RS-2-5L-ECM-ECU-Engine-Computer-Control-Module-Unit-22611AJ940/222649276431?fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3AImpreza&hash=item33d6ee580f:g:QJsAAOSwmgJY3AX1&vxp=mtr

• 1 month later...