Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Solenoid? Intermittent starting problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 washwagon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Bremerton Washington

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

My 1996 2.2 outback has been increasingly intermittent when starting, to the point where it may take 20 minutes of trying to start it.

Battery is good, starter does work when it gets the signal. A think the alternator is good, as I have never had a dead battery.

I hear a clicking when I turn the key, would that be the solenoid trying to engage?

The second phase of my issue is that when it does crank it will not fire. It died on the road the other day. There's a whirring type noise when it does crank, does not sound good. I'm just a little stumped on where to start with checking electrical things.

There's also a delay to when you turn the key to the start position before it will crank. The click will be immediate, but the cranking takes a couple seconds.

I apologize for how random all this information is, but hopefully one of you guys will understand it. Thanks!

#2 coryl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Ontario

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:26 AM

I do not think that your battery is good...it may register as an "OK" battery when tested (not sure how you tested it) but it's probably not putting out enough power. Also check your terminals. Everything you mention, from the clicking, to the stalling while driving, whirring sound, to the taking forever/pausing before start, is all sounding related to a battery that is failing and causing stress on your alternator and engine if it's stalled out.

Edited by coryl, 19 February 2018 - 02:44 AM.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,902 posts
  • Texas

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

you may have 2 problems but, excellent chance on a car this old that the solenoid needs rebuilding. plunger and contact kits are not expensive.

did you get a CEL after the car stalled?

#4 mikec03

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • greenfield, wi

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

Yes, two problems.  On old cars like yours, the starters fail all the time.  Either rebuild it as suggested or, do as I do, go to advanced auto and get a rebuilt one.  Cost is about $100.

Stalling or near stalling while driving is not very common.  It has happened to me a couple of times on a 2.2.  One time it was a failure of the TPS and the second time it was the MAF.  I got a code for the first but not the second.  Otherwise, there are a lot of sensors and equipment that could cause such a failure.  Without a code, you will have a lot of trouble figuring it out.

#5 Mike104

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • N KY

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Check the voltage at the small wire on the starter when cranked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users