Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL wagon fuel tank size?

My FSM claims that I have a 14 gallon tank, but when the gauge reads empty, it only takes 11 gallons to top it off. The gauge is unrelyable above 1/4 tank, and has never shown that it is full after filling it up, so I think I need a new sending unit. Just to make sure I get the right part, I looked under the wagon, and it does not look like a smaller tank had been put in, but I am not sure.

Do the smaller tanks fit in a 83 GL D/R?

Is my FSM correct, or did they ever put a 11 gallon tank in my model?

Can the sending unit be replaced without pulling the tank & rear suspension? If not, I will wait to fix it until I do the lift.

I'm hoping that I have 3 gallons under the empty line. I can barely get from Tacoma to Spokane in 10.5 gallons, and would like to make it without sweating about running out on the road (I hate to stop). On a more upbeat note, I am up to 30.6 mpg now; it only cost $21 to go 330 miles.

I need to hurry with the rear brake and 6 lug conversion because my $5 PAP tire exploded on the last trip. I have good tires waiting (6 lug), and don't want to spend money on tires I will only use a month. Anyone in the Seattle area have rear disk brakes for sale? PAP never seems to have late 80's turbos.

the 4wd tank has a smaller capacity than the 2wd, buint theindentation for the differential.

the sender can be removed rom the back of the tank. also ea81's have a drain plug in the tank

on the way back from montana, my car took on average 10-11 gal of gas, the gauge was screwy, we ran out of gas 3 times before we realized the gauge was screwy(2wd car, 4wd conv, gas tank) maybe it had to do with therate we used fuel. at home around town the gauge went all the way down before running out of gas

The info I says you have a 14.5 tank on the 1983 GL 4X4.

Could the fuel pickup in the tank be higher that the lowest point, thus leaving 3 gallons in the bottom of the tank?

?????The 1983 Hatch has an 11.9 tank?????

I'd doubt you have a Hatch tank on your wagon?

I'd think you'd be able to see the mounts for the larger tank.

(I just checked, It's on the back like everyone else said)

For what it's worth,

Glenn

What you describe seems normal - all my soobs have acted this way. When the light comes one, you are down about 10-11 gallons. It is a 14.5 gallon tank, but the way it's set up, you will never use more than about 13 gallons of it. I've actually run out of gas in my wagon, and when I filled it it only took around 13 gallons total. That means that even with a 14.5 gallon capacity, the pickup tube apparently can't get the last 1.5 gallons out of the tank. I pretty much know that in my lifted wagon, when the light comes on, I have *maybe* 30 miles before it starts to sputter and die. Which works out to about a gallon and a half the way that thing eats fuel. (18-19 MPG).

GD

Thanks for the info.

According to the local Subaru dealer, there is only one fuel tank sending unit in the country (Atlanta) and it is $85. That seems to be a lot to spend on a car that cost $187. None of the generic online auto parts stores seem to carry one. I may need to keep relying on the odometer.

The part number is 785111070.

Get one from a junk yard.

I second that

Also, this might be different on the EA81's but I don't remember the Haynes manual seperating them, the sending unit on my EA82 Wagon is on the top of the tank, but is accessable by peeling back the carpet in the cargo area. Little lump just to the right of center w/3 screws around it, but, like I said, this may very well be different on yours

Sending unit on EA81's is on the back of the tank. 3 or 4 nuts hold it on. Make sure you have less than half a tank when removing it. Can get very messy otherwise. Note that there are at least two different sending units for EA81's - one for digi-dash, and one for analog. The DL might be different too - not sure.

GD

Sounds good. If the sending unit for an 83 wagon with analog dash is on the back of the tank, I'll have no problem at the junkyard. They perch the cars up on a pile of tire rims and I would not trust that if I had to lay under the car removing the rear suspension assembly. There are 4 83 wagons in the Tacoma PAP configured just like mine (there is also an XT). In fact, I can't remember a time in the last couple of years when they had this many soobs. No rear disk brakes though.