Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this

i thought one wasn't allowed to post links to a photo to photobucket unless you pay $100, and to post actual photos was $400. but theres other image hosting websites for free anyways, for forums the link you're looking for should look something like this blah (dot) blah

but that second IMG should have a "(bracket) /IMG (bracket)" but can't put it or it would try to make a picture out of nothing.

Edited by Subasaurus

Checked fuses?

Replace the ignition module in the dizzy.

Make sure cam belts are not broken, then check their timing as well if things aren't happening after the module change.

If all else fails EJ conversion will sort it out. And will never have the lifter tick of death (which is just noisy and not harmful).

Cheers

Bennie

Check fuses.

Replace ignition module in dizzy if not done already.

Check cam belts are not broken/dizzy spins when cranking.

If no spark/running after this, check cam belt timing.

If all else fails. An EJ conversion always sorts this issue out without the lifter tick of death (which is noisy but not harmful)

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

If all else fails. An EJ conversion always sorts this issue out without the lifter tick of death (which is noisy but not harmful)

Cheers

Bennie

It's funny you say that because the ej22 in my 86 GL is the loudest ticking subaru engine I have, but she only ticks until she warms up.

Meanwhile the ea82t that is currently in my xt is quiet as a church mouse. I have a 95 ej22 that was in my GL but will go into my xt when something happens. That engine is also nicely quiet.

But to the op mentioning the junkyard:

A definite +1 on the ej swap. It took me 8 months of weekend wrenching on my 86 GL and I could not be happier with the results.  She has driven me about 15,000 trouble free miles and she really has just the right amount of power now to keep up with traffic and is a blast for merging and stop light drag racing. She had the carb so went from being much slower than my old Camaro (250 inline six) to being able to destroy her in a drag race. She won't out handle my Camaro though :-)

I'm sure that you will get your ea running because these engines are old style easy.  But if this engine ever gives you headaches or you break something look into the ej swap. It's easy if you aren't in a rush. Going from 83 to 135 hp doesn't seem like much numbers wise, but it's night and day on such a light car. A 63% hp gain.

It cost me around $900 because I got a donor car for $500 and spent $400 on a head gasket and timing belt kit, valve seals and other misc, as well as $200 for the adapter plate.

Just for gods sake whatever you do don't take her to the junkyard! Unless she is there to take an ej engine home :-)

Ea era subarus are getting hard to find, sell her if you absolutely must. Someone will be thrilled but seeing a car like that in the jy breaks my heart at times. I have seen brats and xt6s and its sad knowing  that this is their final destination in that form, offering what they can before they wind up as a civic fender or razor blades. It is nice to see that rare subes unfortunate enough to wind up in junkyards around here are always thoroughly stripped of parts before going to the crusher.

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1