Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 ea82 Alternator upgrade to 2002 EJ25

So last week my stock alternator died.

I replaced it with my GM 1 wire alternator 60 amp , which i keep for just this type of circumstance. :P

Since the tension bolt does not match up.

I installed it with my Redneck wood shims method of tightness.

post-50214-0-06158100-1519179850_thumb.jpg

Then on Monday i was able to get an JY alternator from a 2002 EJ25, $17.50  :)

Below are the wiring diagrams I used.

Now with everything on still have 14.1 at battery.

post-50214-0-26436400-1519178501_thumb.jpg post-50214-0-92516900-1519179320_thumb.jpg post-50214-0-39459000-1519179430_thumb.jpg post-50214-0-65482100-1519179464_thumb.jpg

Good upgrade. One piece of advice: Get rid of the scotch locks and attach the wires correctly. Solder them and use heat shrink tubing or use shrink type but connectors. Scotch locks are hinky at best, ruin wires, provide a poor connection for loaded circuits and let in moisture which leads to corrosion and electrical Gremlins. This is not meant to offend, but inform. If you want a little more info, I did a lengthy write up on electrical here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/159953-wiring-dos-and-donts-a-guide/

• Like 1

Easier upgrade - 86 to 94 Nissan Maxima. Direct bolt in. 90 Amp.

i've heard of this upgrade before, but always wondered why its such an easy bolt in upgrade, is the reason because of the remnants of Datsun and Subaru sharing parts with one another in the 70's? and continued to carry some same parts though the late 80's? or just a huge coincidence?

the EJ alternators are mostly 90 amp, and a direct bolt in. just have to swap pulleys, and connect the electrical.

and yes i will make those connection heat shrink.

You're car has somewhat of an odd duck AC/Alt setup.  Many EA82 car and EA81 are different.

I am not sure that EJ alt would fit in the with an inboard alt setup. Not saying it won't but I feel like if it was truly an easy fix everyone here would have been on it 10 years ago.

My understanding is that there were 2 different ac systems. The more common I came across is with the alternator outside, close to the battery.

I've considered the upgrade, but I would have to do the rest correctly, and upgrade the output wire and fusible link.

• Like 1

My understanding is that there were 2 different ac systems. The more common I came across is with the alternator outside, close to the battery.

I've considered the upgrade, but I would have to do the rest correctly, and upgrade the output wire and fusible link.

Correct.

to my observation and opinions, having own both kinds, the one with the A/C in the center and the alternator on the outside closest to the battery looked like it was Subaru Factory done, while the one with the alternator in the center and the A/C closest to the battery was professionally rigged on, probably done at the dealer at a customers request to have this vehicle but originally didn't have A/C. i honestly prefer the alternator in the center since any generic A/C compressor fits it, and they are really simple and on their own wiring diagram, although tightening the belt is just sticking a pole between the 2 components and eyeballing it.

heres the 2 examples below

1989 GL

2m5ggzr.jpg

1994 Loyale

a1kbd.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus