Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Forester 5 Speed 2.5 - EJ251, EJ253, or EJ25D?

Those who read my other threads know I encountered a block that probably isn't worth the effort in my 2003 Forester EJ251.

As luck would have it someone just posted a t-boned 1999 Forester 5 speed not far from me, with under 70,000 original miles. It has been sitting in a garage for a year but still runs and will drive. It's 3 hours away or I'd just drive over there to answer my ?s.

The problem I'm encountering is a bunch of conflicting info on what engine it might actually have. Wiki is very specific that the EJ25D was only in the 98 Forester, and 99 had either a 251 or 253, but now I can't figure out which it is. Plus a bunch of threads say that 99 Foresters had Phase 2 EJ25Ds. Are there any photos I could ask him for that would answer that?

Of course either way I could just swap my heads onto this block, I'd just love to drop the whole thing in and call it good for now (if it doesn't leak etc, and do the timing belt). Will the 0.09 thousandths the machine shop took off my 251 heads cause clearance issues if I bolt them up to a different block?

Edited by Dake
  • Like 1

look at the heads.  do the plugs go straight in from teh side, or angled from teh top?

If the 99 donor is actually a SOHC (plugs anged in from top) then you can simply drop it in...no need to swap your heads.  might need to swap cam/crank gear but then just use the 2004 manifold.

And about the heads......Do you mean .09 Thousands (which is 9 tenthousands or .0009)  or 9 thousands (.009)?

Big difference.

but either way the limit is 12 thousands ( which is .012) which is .3mm in metric.

So they are way good at .0009, but at .009, they may not be able to be cut again at all.

99 is Phase II EJ25 (not EJ25D).  This is of course presuming they listed the year correctly.

99 and 03 forester engines are interchangeable. EJ251/253 doesn't matter for interchange, just swap the intake manifold and drivers side cam and crank gear and anything else necessary, the long blocks are interchangeable. 

• Like 1

Sorry yes 9 thousandths (0.009), I noticed that typo just now.

I called Subaru and verified the VIN as a 99, so it sounds like everything should be good to go and not as complex as I had feared.

Enjoying working on Subarus more at every step  ;)

Edited by Dake