Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very stuck wheel bearing 2011 Outback

That means you took the Knuckle off the car.

And removed the CV axle.

Unnecessary.

Wrong!  I did what I could with the tools at hand and completed the job.  I hope AdventureSubaru is successful.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old post but I had to drop thanks for the tips because someone had always helped me here in the past.

i yanked the hub out of the assembly trying to use a 5lb slide hammer and the only thing it succeeded in doing is causing some intense bone bruising in my thumbs lol.

rhe bolts in about six turns and then hammer was the key.

pretty simple too. I even used a 16oz hickory handle hammer and it was a breeze.

3 hours ago, Toadspit said:

I know this is an old post but I had to drop thanks for the tips because someone had always helped me here in the past.

i yanked the hub out of the assembly trying to use a 5lb slide hammer and the only thing it succeeded in doing is causing some intense bone bruising in my thumbs lol.

rhe bolts in about six turns and then hammer was the key.

pretty simple too. I even used a 16oz hickory handle hammer and it was a breeze.

I would have new bolts ready for anyone in the future doing this. Although the bearing unit threads should damage before the bolt.  In other situations I've had some threads get compressed/damaged doing this before. 

It also helps to take a huge chisel and just spin the entire wheel bearing in place. Keep pounding one of the bolt hole ears until the bearing assembly starts to turn counter clockwise (or clockwise). It'll get easier once it starts turning. This breaks some of the rust before trying to get it to come out.  The chisel can then be turned at a slight angle to help walk the bearing out a millimeter out at a time.  Brutal method, and good luck not smashing the disc brake shield, but I've had that work when pounding the bolts from the back didn't on an outback that lived close to coastal salt water/sand. 

But heat is the bees knees, some of these are absolutely brutal to remove, just don't always have access to that. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1